ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Some Draft notes with it getting close...

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
There could be some other surprises and I'll continue to dig and update, but as of right now, I think these are guys to watch with the Draft.

Right-hander Dylan DeLucia is probably the biggest wildcard on the current roster as far as which way it could go for returning next season. I lean toward the College World Series MOP moving on, but it’s not a certainty. There will be some NIL waiting on him if he has a decision to make, and I don’t see him getting a crazy amount of money in the Draft.

If he’s in the top five rounds with top five slot then he’s almost assuredly gone, but say he’s taken in the seventh round and offered $250,000? I still lean toward him moving on considering his season and how good he was at the end, but there’s a benefit to getting some NIL cash, getting about the same money next year after a solid SEC season where he’s the ace all year, and he gets close to graduating or graduates. So I’ll put it at like 60-40 leaving, but there’s a puncher’s chance. I wouldn’t count on it though.

I expect Kevin Graham and Justin Bench to move on and not return. Both have been great players. Wish them the best and move on. Also, I know Drew McDaniel and Derek Diamond are in the portal, but I expect both to get drafted and go pro. I expect TJ McCants back at this point, which is huge for the Rebels. He could go if a team reaches, but as of now I slot him in the likely back category.

Jackson Ferris — The left-hander is No. 9 nationally by Perfect Game and the ultimate lottery ticket for Ole Miss. However, I don’t expect it to hit. I know mocks have had him all over the place, but some team is going to take him and hit his number. He’s 96 MPH from the left side, and while he doesn’t currently have it, there’s going to be pitchability with three pitches before it’s over. He’s a hell of a prospect, and he’s not as high on some boards as he was two months ago, but it just takes one. Don’t count on him coming to school. If a miracle happens, sure, but it’ll take a miracle.

Roman Anthony — The outfielder out of Parkland, Florida, is ranked 14th nationally by Perfect Game, and he’s the one to really follow for the Draft. It’s a coin flip. Anthony, I’m told, has a signing bonus want of around $2 million, and while some teams aren’t on him at all, there are a lot of clubs valuing him around that 40th pick which is right in the exact wheelhouse of that slot value. If he gets first round money, he’s out. But if teams try to low ball him or he slips at all past that spot, I think he shows up at school. Ole Miss desperately needs him and has a shot if a team doesn’t panic jump for him. But take some antacid as it nears the 30th pick.

Ethan Lege is a JUCO transfer infielder who started his career at Nicholls before transferring to Delgado. He hit .398 and was an All-American at the Louisiana JUCO. I like him. Lot of bat control and may transition better and faster than most JUCO kids. But he’s a JUCO kid and is draft eligible so it’s worth watching. He could get a decent bonus from a team if he’s really signable. So just keep an eye out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.