ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on Leo Lewis committing to Ole Miss...

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Leo Lewis committed to Ole Miss Tuesday night, giving the Rebels a huge boost at a position of need and also getting a public pledge from one of the top players in Mississippi and nationally.

Here are a few thoughts on why Lewis' commitment is a tremendous win for Ole Miss.

The Rebels have three linebackers out of the dozen commitments for 2015, but with all due respect to Fred Walls and Zedrick Woods, this gives Ole Miss its high upside complete package at the position. Lewis is solid at every facet of the position and moves better than you would think at first glance. He fits perfectly the inside linebacker spot in Dave Wommack's defense.

Here's what Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell said: "A huge get for Ole Miss, former Alabama commitment and big time in state grab. Downhill kid and big hitter who is surprisingly agile in his drops and reads play well. Good sideline to sideline ability and sure tackler. Must get in state grab here. Great get."

There are several key positions in this class despite the limited room, but linebacker may be the top spot where a can't-miss prospect was needed, and Lewis is very close to that description. Christian Russell is back at inside linebacker in 2015, but it's an exodus at the position over the next two seasons. Deterrian Shackelford, Keith Lewis and Serderius Bryant are seniors, while Russell and Denzel Nkemdiche are juniors. A stud was needed inside, and it just arrived.

I've always picked up on a lot of maturity with Lewis. He blew up quickly during the recruitment process and remained grateful - and something surprised - with the attention and opportunities in front of him.

I covered the Hattiesburg Rivals Camp Series stop earlier this season, and a lot of high-profile players either no-showed or showed up late. But Lewis, despite being injured, was right on time and went through all the photo, media, social media and autograph sessions despite being unable to compete.

He took time with everybody and stayed throughout the day, talking to analysts and commenting on the players on the field. It was a telling day for me because there was no prima donna tendencies or attitude. He was just hanging out and was incredible respectful at every turn. That's seemed to be the situation at camps and combines during the summer, as well.

There are several players in Mississippi I'd love to have if I were a coach, but Lewis and Javon Patterson are the two I'd choose first - when considering talent, attitude and everything else. Those are the top two in the state per Rivals.com, but that is true for me no matter the rating. The next would be Fletcher Adams.

Reactions: StanBReb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.