ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Sanders, Jaxson Dart, & Walker Howard

OGReb

NFL's No. 1 Draft Choice
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2019
Oxford, MS
I'm seeing a major inability to comprehend why Ole Miss would take all 3 guys and, honestly, it's not that difficult of a situation to understand. I'll try to explain.

1) Ole Miss has a depth problem at QB. As of this writing, there is only 1 scholarship QB on roster - Jaxson Dart. That was something that was highlighted and criticized after the season ended. After Altmeyer transferred and we failed to sign a HS QB, everyone knew we would have to add at least 1 portal QB, likely 2. So the search began.

2) While Jaxson Dart started all but 1 game this past season and was assumed to be the starter for the upcoming season, that isn't guaranteed and shouldn't be. While Jaxson did a lot of good things and shows great potential, he also had a ton of problems with the mental side of the game. Things like reading defenses and making the right decisions on where to go with the ball post snap.

Now couple 1 & 2 together and you get the possibility that Kiffin & Co. would bring in an established QB to compete with Dart to push his progress moving forward. Everyone knows that 99% of portal guys are in the portal because of playing time. Guys don't hop in the portal to not get snaps. So any QB we bring in is going to be assured that they can compete for the job - which isn't some abnormal promise made to guys btw. I'm not sure why so many are getting caught up in that but I digress.

So, let's fast forward and take all the information that we have at our disposal to this point and assume that both Sanders and Howard are going to commit to Ole Miss in the coming days. Here is exactly why & how it will work out.

A) Both Jaxson Dart and Spencer Sanders are upper class-men. Dart is a RS Sophomore and Sanders is a RS Junior. I would venture to guess that at least 1 if not both are extremely close to graduation. Both of those guys will likely compete for the starting job in spring ball. The loser would then likely be able transfer again as a grad-transfer. It's really a perfect scenario.

B) Add in Walker Howard to the mix. He will also be allowed to compete for the job, which per reports, is all he is asking for. He understands and is ok with not necessarily winning the job but it's crucial to his development that he be allowed to truly compete for the gig. As an underclassman though he bridges you to at least the 2025 season and helps make up for the fact that you went 0-fer with HS guys at that position the past two years.

Having all 3 guys guarantees that the best possible QB for the job will in fact win the job - which at the end of the day is all that matters. Get on board, buckle in, and enjoy the ride. When the dust settles, no matter who comes out victorious, we are going to have 2 truly elite guys in the QB room. One for now and one for the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News