ADVERTISEMENT

State of the Progtam: Talent in Year 4.

RebelSandman

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2019
Let’s get something out of the way: I love Kiffin as the head coach. I think he’s elevated the brand incredibly. I think he’s drug some of our program into this century compared to our competitors. He has his faults, but overall I think he’s a net positive for the program.

But I think it’s fair to assess where we are in Year 4 by position group and ask if we are getting back what we put in from a salary and NIL perspective. This is compared to when he arrived.

QB: Better overall, solely due to the depth. Matt was excellent, I think Dart is just one notch down, and we know there’s talent behind him. There was nothing behind Corral.

RB: Push. Judkins is having the sophomore slump I expected (I predicted under 800 yards for the season) but he’s still really good. Bentley is good and Reesecano was highly rated. Ealy, Parrish, and Snoop were 2020.

WR: Worse. I don’t know if it’s signing undertalented guys or bad coaching, but in Year 4 we have 2 total catches by WR we signed from HS. (Thanks @Chase Parham for the stat). This has to get better — immediately.

TE: Talent — better. Production — worse.

OL: Somehow, unquestionably worse, despite having a bunch of the same players. That OL is bottom 4th of the league.

DL: Push. Without the portal players, though, much worse. It’s going to get a massive talent infusion next year, though.

LB: Worse. Not sure I could’ve imagined that at the time, but they are.

DB: Better. AJ and Jaylon Jones were really good, but we have a lot more players there. Other than Prince, not sure any of them are as talented as those two guys though. But more talent = better.

ST: Push. Punting sucks, place kicking is better.

How, after 4 years and portal investments, are we not better at all positions? It’s fairly frustrating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News