ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING: Sunday, Jan. 1 Recruiting Notes, presented by A-1 Discount Tree and Lawn Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
Daily recruiting notes are presented by A-1 Discount Tree and Lawn Service. For removal, trimming, stump grinding, demolition and land clearing, call A-1 at 601-981-4900 or check out their website www.A1DiscountTree.com.

Here's Saturday's thread:

Rivals.com's Director of National Recruiting Adam Gorney was kind enough to send me a quote about four-star QB/recent Ole Miss commitment Demond Williams. Gorney is in Lake Buena Vista for the UA Game so he's slammed. I appreciate him taking a few for us.

“Demond Williams is definitely undersized but he is an outstanding playmaker and someone who rarely makes a grave mistake when he has the ball in his hands," Gorney said. "Because he’s small, edge rushers cannot really get him in their grasp so he can escape pressure and almost seems more comfortable throwing on the run or getting out of the pocket and making something happen. He was very impressive this season helping beat Malachi Nelson’s team, throwing only one pick and in Lane Kiffin’s offense his dual-threat capabilities could be special.”

2024 Rivals100 DT D'Antre Robinson included Ole Miss on his top 15. The Orlando native's list:

Robinson’s top schools: Florida, Georgia, Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan State, Colorado, Miami, Florida State, USC, Pitt, Auburn, Tennessee, UCF, Mississippi State, and Ole Miss.

How Robinson comprised the list was straightforward.

“The way I narrowed it down is how people contact me and my relationship with the coaches, that is how I picked my top 15,” Robinson said.

Top teams have been keeping Robinson’s phone lighting up.

“The teams reaching out to me the most, I would say Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan State, and Miami,” Robinson stated. “Miami, they text or call me every day.”

Robinson got out to FSU and UCF for game-day visits over the fall months, he has several lined up in the coming months.

“I plan on visiting Georgia, Florida, and Miami,” Robinson said. "I am supposed to go to Texas, Texas A&M, and Colorado as well.”

Speaking of Gorney and Lake Buena Vista, he included Ole Miss signee Suntarine Perkins on the list of four-star prospects who are getting serious consideration for a fifth star.

There are currently 26 five-stars and as we try to get closer to 32 - to match the first round of the NFL Draft - there are definitely some players at Under Armour who are making a big case to move up maybe not to five-star status but up in the rankings. Some could make it, some might not and then there are other games to consider but here’s a list of guys that have stood out to me through two days of practice:

Johntay Cook: If Branch is the most dynamic receiver then Cook is 1B because as a route runner and playmaker he has been fantastic. The Texas signee is nearly unstoppable in 1-on-1 situations.

Malik Muhammad: Ranked as the fifth-best cornerback, Muhammad is already highly regarded but maybe not enough. He is fantastic in coverage, has great eyes and the bouncy athletic ability to make plays.

Jason Moore: From solely a physical standpoint, Moore is arguably the most-impressive prospect at the event. He’s not as violent or sudden as some other defensive linemen but he’s massive and looks great. Some coaching from Ohio State position coach Larry Johnsoncould make him something else.

Suntarine Perkins: Coming off an outstanding Alabama/Mississippi All-Star Game, Perkins looks like a five-star with length, coverage ability and ranginess. The Ole Miss signee has special athletic ability and while linebackers don’t do much in all-star game practices, he definitely looks the part.

Peter Woods: Again, coming off an Alabama/Mississippi All-Star Game where Woods was totally unstoppable and blew up practice because offensive linemen couldn’t stop him, the Clemson signee has been impressive here as well. He can play across the defensive line but is best inside.

Zalance Heard: The LSU signee reminds me - almost exactly - of
D.J Fluker, the former five-star in the 2009 class who is still playing in the NFL. Both are just about 6-foot-5 and 330 pounds, just massive human beings who are still physical, can get in the way of defensive linemen and both might have had some issues at the same stage with speed rushers. Still, Heard might be a no-brainer at this point because he’s so physically gifted.

Adepoju Adebawore: The Oklahoma signee has such incredible athletic ability and physical toughness to add that he’s going to be in the five-star discussion for sure. Adebawore can beat bigger offensive tackles to the edge, he can spin with an inside move, he can blow up plays in the backfield because he hits hard. He does a whole lot well.

Dylan Edwards: Is this crazy? Probably. But in a race to end the second day of camp, the Colorado commit ran a 4.41-second 40-yard dash and beat California track star
Rodrick Pleasant and then Olympic hopeful
Nyckoles Harbor in back-to-back races. Edwards is undersized but that’s part of the lure.

FULL LOGO.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News