ADVERTISEMENT

The Biden Decision...

wpman1

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2002
Lots of speculation after Thursday night's debate performance... It's interesting to read all the thoughts and opinions concerning the matter in other threads..

Having said that. I couldn't help but think back to my early teen years when Lyndon B. Johnson went on national TV to announce he would not run for President in 1968. I saw that speech live on TV back in the day..

Here it is:

Early 1968 was a tough time LBJ.. The war in Vietnam started escalating with the Tet offensive in January 1968.. You can get a gauge of the situation by watching the movie, Full Metal Jacket..

About a month after the offensive started, the "Most Trusted Man in America" CBS news anchor Walter Cronkite did an editorial bit to end his nightly news cast. He ended his editorial by saying:

......"But it is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out then will be to negotiate, not as victors, but as an honorable people who lived up to their pledge to defend democracy and did the best they could."..

The mood of the country made it clear that LBJ was going to have a tough time winning re-election...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News