ADVERTISEMENT

The Pod and the basketball debate

KentuckyReb

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2005
@Chase Parham did a really nice job summarizing what’s going with basketball.
{{hat tipped}}

Let me start by saying that I’m not a basketball guy. I don’t know the intricacies of the game. I’ve watched it most of my life but am not into it like I am football. I also stopped watching our basketball team about a year and a half ago. For the first time in ages I turned us on at the half this Saturday and made it to the 3 minute mark before I flipped it off and probably won’t watch another second until there is new blood. I have nothing in the world against Kermit personally. Actually I really like him as a human. He just can’t coach basketball at this level. He’s shown that. His teams have gotten progressively worse with every season that he’s been in Oxford. Again, not a basketball guy, but the most frustrating thing is that I’m convinced if you gave another coach his players and his resources they would have far more success. I do t think you can definitively say the same for football or baseball.

Can you punt on basketball? Sure. Lots of schools do it. A few in our own conference. Should you? Probably not. But that’s not even the issue. Like @Chase Parham said, the administrative support hasn’t changed since Kermit arrived. The only thing that has changed is fan support and I don’t blame them. I don’t give money to Ole Miss because I have none to give. I buy tickets. I attend events when I can. I own more hats and T-shirt’s than should be allowed. That’s about all I can and will ever do. I don’t tell people how to spend their money. That’s a personal thing. But I don’t blame anyone for not giving NIL $ to basketball as Kermit has shown that it is a complete waste. He acquires talent. That talent doesn’t work out here. That talent leaves and is better elsewhere. He aquires new talent. Rinse and repeat.
In my opinion, what Ole Miss needs is a coach who does things differently. Thinks outside the box. Puts a product on the floor that people can get excited about even if they aren’t winning. Kermits issue is that his teams are both bad and unentertaining. That’s a really tough combo to get behind. People are not going to financially support that. They just aren’t. A young coach who’s team gets up and down the floor, shoots (and makes) some 3’s, pressures on defense and makes for an entertaining watch would go a LONG way with Ole Miss fans right now. They won’t even have to necessarily win early, just get fans excited enough to want to come back to the arena and watch.
For example, even as a broke cook I attended 8-12 games a year from 2011-2020 because we had stretches of success by OM standards. We were an entertaining product. If whoever is coaching next season can create some excitement, Ole Miss fans will come back and support with both their time and money. Everyone loves a winner
I look forward to new blood and a fun product in Oxford if for no other reason than to keep me entertained until baseball.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News