ADVERTISEMENT

The way forward...

umgrad92

Second Team QB
Gold Member
Now that it looks like we have some resolution on the coaching situation, we have to decide, all of us, from CLK and ADKC all the way down to average Joe fans and alumni such as myself, how do we recover from this debacle, one that was largely self-inflicted by the person, CLK, that we counted on to lead us to glory in the SEC, and turn what was a major setback into a comeback? Here are some ideas @h_ttyt_ddy on the way forward:

CLK
1. He needs to make a public statement in which he admits that he and his representation mishandled the process, that he should have been more transparent, and that he is remorseful for how he handled the whole thing and thankful for the opportunity he has to continue to lead the football program at Ole Miss. Further, he needs to accept responsibility for lackluster efforts by the team against Arkansas and MSU and acknowledge that his shenanigans were the likely cause of the team playing at less than their best.
2. CLK needs to publicly state that he came to Ole Miss because he believed that we could win a championship here, that we, admin, team, fans, etc...have made progress on making that possible, and that he, in the simplest, common vernacular, Mike Tomlin style possible, intends to stay until that goal becomes a reality.
3. He needs to show his resolve to build a winning team by recruiting this off-season like his life is on the line, relentless, and totally committed to building the best roster possible. His goal should be to have a top-10 roster when the 2023 talent composite is released next August. With our NIL coffers, it is possible.
4. CLK needs to thoroughly review his staff, both on the field and off the field, and make the necessary decisions to make our staff the absolute best it can possibly be.

ADKC/ADMIN
1. Present a united front, both publicly and privately, of support for CLK. Continue to work to provide whatever CLK asks for in terms of resources to give Ole Miss football every opportunity to win.
2. Communicate with CLK that future dalliances during the season like we experienced in 2022 will not be acceptable and may result in immediate suspension and/or separation from the university. If possible, add that language to his contract extension.
3. Increase the buyout number to protect Ole Miss against such as what happened this season (looks like that has happened).

Fans/Alumni/Boosters
1. Try to shake off the anger (I was/am there) about the season ending the way it did, why it happened, who was to blame, etc. and give CLK every opportunity to win back your support. I don't expect it to be an easy process, as we got took for a ride these last few weeks, both on and off the field. I am not advocating god-like stuff, renaming the stadium, building a statue, naming firstborn son's, etc. that was real prior to this episode of the last few weeks. I am advocating for acknowledging the spilled milk, knowing why the milk was spilled and who was responsible, and taking the initiative to clean it up and move forward in the name of the greater good, which is Ole Miss football.
2. Join The Grove Collective. Refrain from making public statements that are derogatory towards CLK. Such is interpreted as derogatory and divisive and are used in recruiting by our opponents. Enthusiasm is a force multiplier. There is a reason all of our opponents, especially the instate maroon folks, want CLK gone from Ole Miss. Fan negativity is exactly what they want. Oh, and join The Grove Collective.
3. Understand and acknowledge what we all are signing up for. He is a mercenary. He is an attention seeker. He is socially awkward. He is still most likely going to bolt when a better opportunity comes along. But he is also a dang good coach. He has raised the bar in many areas here at Ole Miss. He has spearheaded the mindset that we aren't little WAOM anymore. We are big time. Let's make our relationship with CLK one of mutual benefit, win/win. If CLK wins big, he will most likely leave. Let's help him have the decision to make. Because if he does, that will mean that we have won big, which is what everyone wants. I encourage everyone to do what I am doing, get back on the train and do all I can to help him have the choice to stay or leave. Either way, Ole Miss wins. That is all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News