ADVERTISEMENT

There's been alot of talk about Spencer Sanders since January 2022.

RebelSandman

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2019
I may have missed this between the OEP, McCready & Siskey, or posts on here previously, so please forgive me if this has been discussed in this detail.

There has been alot of talk -- both on this board as well as the podcasts -- about why Spencer Sanders transferred here, why he would choose Ole Miss, why he wouldn't go somewhere he was "the guy," etc.. Obviously, he came here to compete and ultimately to play. Maybe he ends up being QB1 at some point. Maybe not. He obviously didn't come here with the intention to sit on the bench, but it was a known possibility.

But I think the answer that has been missed the most is the most simple of them:

Money.

First, we have to look at Sanders as a prospect. Spencer Sanders was not expected to be a first two day pick in the NFL Draft. In fact, according to most sources of info for the 2022 Draft (following his 4th straight year of starting in the Big 12 -- arguably the highest his stock should be), he was either an end of the draft pick or expected to be a UDFA:

UDFA contracts are not guaranteed, and often even highly drafted prospects get cut (see: Corral, Matt). Typical guarantees for late round draft picks or UDFA are in the $40,000 to $80,000 range. Now, they obviously make much more than that if they stay on the 53 man all year, but the likelihood that Sanders 1) makes a 53 man and 2) stays are low -- as they are for all late round picks.

Sanders' reported deal here and other places is in the $400k range. I don't know if that's true or not, but it sounds about right for what it would take to get him here and the going for a possible starting QB. If it's true, and he's guaranteed a $400k salary and his prospects (7th round or UDFA) are exactly the same for his career, he'd be stupid not to do it. It's a $400k guarantee while also earning the same potential opportunity come summer 2024. He's not going to be a different player after a year at Ole Miss than he has been for his entire career at OSU. He is what he is. Take the guaranteed money and take your chance next year.

(if he starts vs Mercer, ignore all of the above and Neal was right)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News