ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Thursday, March 23 practice notes/observations

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
First, the obligatory:

Everyone is bigger, faster and stronger.

Ole Miss practiced in shorts and helmets. They'll add shoulder pads Saturday.

Former MUS wide receiver Mac Owen had the catch of the day, a one-handed grab in the end zone during skeleton drills. It was impressive.

John Saunders Jr. is a really big corner. Physically, he looks the part. Zamari Walton has also impressed program insiders. He was covering a lot of slot guys from what I could tell today. Deantre Prince is in a black jersey, meaning he's not going through team stuff.

Monty Montgomery looks a lot like Troy Brown. I meant to watch Jeremiah Jean-Baptiste more than I did, but he was getting a lot of reps with the "starters."

I'm no quarterback guru, but Walker Howard had some really pretty throws. He hit Brandon Buckhaulter and then Chris Marshall on back-to-back deep balls in team drills. Both throws were perfect. He's got a really bright future, I'm guessing.

I was really impressed with tight end Caden Prieskorn. He's just very "professional" out there, for lack of a better word.

Wide receiver Tre Harris was in a black jersey today. So was Qua Davis.

Defensive lineman Joshua Harris is huge, a real presence on the interior. Jameer Lewis, who is listed as a linebacker, was getting reps at defensive end, it appeared. Tywone Malone was getting a lot of reps.

Cedric Johnson is in a black jersey this spring. All in all, the defensive line unit is kind of thin.

Quarterback Davin Wydner was in a black jersey.

New basketball coach Chris Beard and freshly-hired assistant Al Pinkins stopped by practice. Jaemyn Brakefield was with them. Based on things I've heard, I'd guess Brakefield gets out of the portal and stays at Ole Miss.

More after practice. Told we're going to talk to the quarterbacks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News