ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Thursday Practice Observations

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Ole Miss was in just helmets again on Thursday. They have Friday off before putting shoulder pads on for Saturday's practice. They went about 2 hours, 15 minutes with much the same format as the day before.

Hudson Wolfe is in a non-contact jersey and out there going through some things. The general consensus is if there was no shot of him being no full strength, he wouldn’t be out there, but I don’t hear anything about timetables or anything expected of him. He’s obviously behind Michael Trigg, Caden Prieskorn and Kyilin Heath and really until he moves to a navy jersey and goes through contact, it’s impossible to know anything. People are happy he’s progressed to the point of being in uniform, but I don’t notice anything being at all imminent with him.

Tre Harris abused defensive backs today. He was really good and dominated in team and seven-on-seven drills. He went up and got passes and made clean breaks to get open. He looks very comfortable. It was another day of him and Ayden Williams jumping off the page. Both were really impressive. Harris, the first two days, has been excellent with body control and playing in traffic. Williams is a freak athletically.

Dayton Wade had another solid-to-good day. JJ Henry was inconsistent. He made maybe the catch of the day over his shoulder but then had multiple drops on catchable passes.

This is anecdotal and just me noticing a few plays, but DeShawn Gaddie struggled with coverage at times tonight. He closed really well, though, and was active in team drills late in practice. A lot of energy.

The first offensive line on Thursday was left-to-right: Jayden Williams, Eli Acker, Reece McIntyre, Jeremy James and Micah Pettus. Caleb Warren was still in a black jersey for no contact.

Freshman offensive lineman Ethan Fields did something to his lower right leg. I couldn’t tell if it was the ankle or shin, but he left practice and had that leg propped on the medical table for a while. Team orthopedist Kurre Luber went over and talked to him and examined him, and then Fields left the field. Obviously we don’t know specifics, but that’s what I saw.

A cart carried AJ Brown into the Manning Center at the end of practice, but I saw him walking around on the indoor practice field. It may have just been a cramp or something. I’ll ask Neal to check on it Saturday.

Ulysses Bentley told me he’s at 205 pounds right now after getting down to as low as 190 pounds last season. He looks better, and the backups continue to get a lot of looks in that fight for carries behind Quinshon Judkins.

It’s so raw, but good grief Austin Simmons has ability. Just go stick him in the lab for a year or two and see what comes out. The ball has velocity and looks the way you want it to look. He has good feet and he’s so athletic. He doesn’t know where the ball is going right now, and there’s a lot of work to be done, but that dude has the tools you don’t teach.

Jaxson Dart and Spencer Sanders got the overwhelming majority of the snaps in the 7-on-7 and team drills in the back half of practice and both played well. Dart is commanding the offense the best right now and seems very comfortable with the leadership role and going through his job. Sanders is the healthiest he’s been and improvs really well. He hit Williams with a 35-yard TD off his back foot that was impressive. There are no pads on yet, so keep it to the context that it is, but both guys played well on Thursday and excelled in their own ways. Sanders had a lot of energy in team drills.

Walker Howard and Simmons were with the reserves and played well, especially Howard. It’s just hard to gauge because the game moves slower with those units.

Fraser Masin was the most consistent in the punting game during practice, with distance, hang time and accuracy. I’m far from a punting expert, but he had a good day.

Kedrick Reescano, Bentley, Jodan Watkins and Dayton Wade are the most frequent people back retuning kicks. Judkins and Williams are there, too, but aren’t getting as many reps as the others.

Suntarine Perkins forced a fumble in team drills and flashed a lot. I noticed him more today than yesterday. Other players were talking about him on the sideline. You just see it with some guys, and teammates are good judges. His recovery and closing speed in coverage are really good for a linebacker.

Cornerbacks coach Keynodo Hudson spent a lot of time coaching up the younger players, including on the secondary field during team drills. He was coaching hard and teaching a lot of technique to the backups and young kids. He was the only main assistant over there that I noticed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News