ADVERTISEMENT

To the board member that complain about the number of out-of-state students

BattleM

4-Year Starter
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The main complaint by people is that out-of-state students don't stay in Mississippi. However, most of the in-state students at Ole Miss have to leave the state also. One of my four children is earning more than my other three children combined. She lives in Austin, Texas, while her sister and one brother live on the coast, and the other brother lives in Oxford.

There have been other benefits to out-of-state students coming to Ole Miss. I know one couple from California whose daughter attended Ole Miss, and their son followed her to Ole Miss a few years later. Both children have graduated, and the son still lives in Oxford. The husband of this couple runs a business from his home. While their son was in school here, they moved from California to Oxford, still live here, have season tickets to football, and regularly attend softball, basketball, and baseball games.

I have mentioned before that one of the Rivals board members had two daughters who graduated from Ole Miss and is a great fan of Ole Miss sports even though he and his wife attended two other SEC universities.

Michael Borkey, one of the regulars on Sports Talk Mississippi, was an out-of-state student who attended Ole Miss and stayed in Mississippi. One of my longtime friends grew up in Maryland, but he attended Ole Miss, married a Mississippi girl, settled in Biloxi, and has remained a supporter of Ole Miss both academically and athletically.

Those are just a few examples of how out-of-state students benefited Ole Miss and Oxford, whether they now live in Mississippi or not.

Also, most former Ole Miss students who moved to Austin, Dallas, St. Louis, Atlanta, Nashville, and other locations closer and further away from Oxford remain fans and continue to support the school. With NIL being a big factor in recruiting now, having alumni all over the country that can afford to support the Grove Collective is huge. They may only be able to get back for 1 or 2 games a year, but they can still support the team financially. I also believe that is one reason the ratings for Ole Miss games on the Tube have been high over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News