ADVERTISEMENT

Update from Petteyland

Pettey

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Apr 22, 2002
Wasn’t really gonna post anymore about the situation as I felt I turned this way too much into a Facebook sob deal and didn’t want to do that. So y’all can blame @rbhankins for me coming out of the woodwork. Actually I really appreciate him for checking in and letting me know I should give an update for all those who have been praying. I want y’all to know how much I appreciate it and trust me they work. So for a quick this is where we are…

We are home and recovering. My oldest daughter that broke her pelvis and wrist and spine is doing well. She just got a great report that she will only be non weight bearing for a 5 more weeks not 9. She has her moments of ups and downs being stranded to a bed but given what she has been through her spirit is in a great place and yesterdays news pumped her up. Christmas and New Years was rough but she also got the news that we should be able to go on her senior trip in March and have it canceled as previously thought. That was huge news!

I’m getting better and more mobile but the pain is still pretty intense with the broken ribs and sternum. They said 6 weeks of serious pain with my surgery and apparently weren’t joking. Sleeping is a nightmare and mornings kinda suck with the pain. Can only sleep on my back and that was already bad ( got degenerative disk) so I don’t sleep much and that has started to wear me out mentally. Luckily i have an insanely awesome wife who has been there and has some therapy background so she knows what to say. Each day seems to be a little better it’s just the night and mornings are pretty rough.

My youngest seems to be getting better she really fought the mental side. Going to a hospital different from us by herself and not knowing how seriously I was injured was rough on her. I know what i saw in the car and that memory will haunt me forever. I didn’t realize until later in our stay what my wife and youngest daughter saw of me and apparently it was a pretty frightening sight for them. She was concerned I wouldn’t make it so mentally it has been hard for her. Seeing us all broken up but she was just as broken on the inside so my wife has had to spend a great deal of time with her on that But she is getting better. Now for the hero, my wife…

My wife has been unbelievable thru this. She still fighting the back pain from the 3 broken transverse processes in her back but she has been taking care of us all while also dealing with all the paperwork and insanity that come with what happened. She bounces from the full nursing care my oldest requires (bathroom, bathing, everything ) making sure I’m taken care of and out of pain (I manage as much of that as possible so she doesn’t), taking care of our youngest so she doesn’t feel neglected and can heal mentally and the 1000 calls a day to the insurance people and hospital follow ups and everything else. By then end of each day she is mentally and physically shot. If we are still in your prayers please focus them on her. Our bones are healing but she is running on fumes.

So much for the quick update. Sorry for the long and horridly grammar filled post but man we appreciate the prayers.

TLDR; we still broken, still lots of pain, kid is doing better and got great news for a shorter recovery, wife is running on fumes and kicking ass but still needs your prayers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News