ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 thoughts from a retired (for now) coach

umgrad92

Second Team QB
Gold Member
I will make this quick for the 140-character crowd. Not going to get in-depth about a lopsided win over Mercer.

1. QB - Jaxson Dart is the man. Period. End of story. Not sure what Sanders's role is going to be, but he looked good too, as did Howard. Good situation here.

2. OL - 8 players played decent snaps. We looked physical. Yes, it was Mercer. But still looked improved over last year. Improved competition will give us a better look in the next couple of weeks.

3. WR - Tre Harris is a baller. Watkins was steady and took a punt to the house. Having a legit punt return threat would be HUGE! Williams is talented but looked like a freshman (which he is) at times. I said when he signed that Caden Lee would play. He looked good. Wade made a couple of good catches.

4. RB - Judkins was solid. Bentley did some good things but has got to hold onto the ball. Jam Griffin did not get but 5 snaps...? Reescano...?

5. TE - Hudson Wolfe just can't get a break (no pun intended). Hope he is not out long. Trigg did ok, I guess. I liked Kyrin Heath. Thought he took advantage of the reps and made a case for more PT. Need Preiskorn to get healthy.

6. DL - Harris, Harris, Harris. He looked great. I know,... the competition. Regardless, he looked great. I liked Gordon and Ivey too. Cedric Johnson looked like he was unsure/uncomfortable.

7. LB - Perkins is a bona fide stud, but we already knew/expected that. I thought Sistrunk was solid, yet unspectacular. Ditto for Khari Coleman. This position group is the weak link at this point; lacking a Troy Brown/Chance Campbell type at this point.

8. DBs - I liked Walton. He is a player. Prince was solid, as usual. Trey Washington played well. Tennision only got 10 snaps...?

9. ST - Both kickers looked good. I think Costa wins it in the end. Glad to have them both.

10. Overall - I thought we were sharp and organized for a 1st game. Mistakes were made, and losing Wolfe hurt the TE room, but we did what we were supposed to do, dismantle an overmatched opponent. The competition will improve next week. The extended forecast calls for 50% chance of morning thunderstorms and high of 93 degrees Saturday in NOLA. I don't like these games (Memphis, Tulane, etc) on the road. I am not the AD though. On to week 2. That is all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News