ADVERTISEMENT

Week 2 thoughts from a retired (for now) coach

umgrad92

Second Team QB
Gold Member
Good evening Rebelgrover's. I apologize for the tardiness of my post. Had drill this weekend and other personal things going on. I am going to put the bottom line up front here: This post will not be my best effort. I only got to watch the game as it happened with no opportunity to view the tape. That, plus the fact that I am just not going to break down in much detail a 52-3 shellacking that wasn't as close as the score, and here we are, getting what we got. I will talk about offense as a whole, defense as a whole, and point out a few things that jumped out at me along the way.

DEFENSE
The biggest scare, IMHO, our defense had on Saturday was when Walter Nolen went down with what appeared to be a knee injury. According to those with more inside information than me (any is more than I have, BTW) he is going to be ok. Big bullet dodged there. It is my hope that if there is ANY chance that he is not 100%, put him in street clothes next week, and even the next if necessary. I know he has to get reps, but losing him in a game we are 100% going to win regardless is not something that will be viewed positively.
The defensive front seven, especially the DL, is so talented. We can go 2 deep at every position without much fall off. Kam Franklin and Jamarious Brown are going to be dominant in time. I expect Jared Ivey to have a breakout game soon. My one concern is the "fit" for Suntarine Perkins. The guy is uber talented, but he is somewhat light in the britches for playing where we are playing him. I am not at practice everyday, so I am sure our staff is on top of it, but it does concern me that we aren't getting all the juice he has to offer out of the squeeze. Just looking at his physique, it seems he would be a good linebacker candidate. Maybe he doesn't have the hip movement to move laterally like he needs. Again, just speculating.
Speaking of LB's, TJ Dottery had a good game Saturday, recording 6 tackles and a fumble recovery. He is a solid 225-230 pounds and moves well to the ball. He and Chris Paul have really helped shore up the LB corps. Khari Coleman was solid as usual.
The DB's took some heat from some Monday morning quarterbacks. The important thing to remember is that we are starting 2 new CB's who have size and length. They are getting their proverbial feet wet as it pertains to how we play defense. Defensive back requires comfort, which slows the game down and makes it seem easier. Both of our CB's have not found their comfort zone yet. The upside to this is what I stated previously about their physical stature. They are tall and long. Trey Washington is just so instinctive. He is all over the field. I liked Yam Banks and Jadon Canady too. I was pleased to see John Saunders Jr. make the big INT to preserve keeping the other team out of the endzone. Bottom line, as Neal and others have stated, this defense has the tools to be elite. The down side of our schedule this year is that they most likely will not be challenged until we play LSU, and if their QB is hurt, it may be the UGA game before the opportunity to see how we react to adversity hits. I hope they don't get complacent, stay focused and hungry, and are their own harshest critic. That is their way forward to taking the hand we are dealt and using it to make ourselves better.

OFFENSE
Jaxson Dart has improved so much. I was not a big fan of his arrival from USC, as I had a personal desire for who I wanted to land the job. He won me over with his grit, moxy, and determination. I remember the play that forever imbedded me in his camp at Georgia Tech when he ran over a GT defender on a big run. That is a guy you want leading your team. He has grown into a player that will have a chance to sit in the NYC Athletic Club ceremony in December. Dart broke a 25 year old record for most consecutive completions Saturday, and was visibly unhappy when he threw a couple of incompletions to end the streak. Seek perfection, attain greatness. I will most likely sound like a broken record this season as I recognize and praise his greatness. I did not realize how good Eli Manning was when he was here until after he was gone and I watched games on replay. I will not make the same mistake with Jaxson Dart.
I have genuine concern that my thoughts on UBIV may indeed be correct. He was an excellent change of pace back last season. He has speed, vision, and plays with passion. I have questioned his ability to step up and "be the man". I am still not ready to write off the possibility of him becoming RB1, but HPJr is going to make it difficult for him, as he is better than UBIV in most every facet of RB play at this time. Maybe the playing time message will be received favorably and he will step up instead of step back. HPJr had a great game, 4 TDs and 165 yards rushing on 14 attempts. Glad he is ok and didn't have a concussion.
The OL still has some work to do. Like the defensive backfield, they are going to have to become their harshest critic and be self motivated to reach their potential. The DL's of Furman and MTSU are not comparable to what they will see in SEC play. I thought, just from one viewing, that Jayden Williams was better than Diego Pounds at LT. It would be interesting to see which one graded higher. It is nice to have depth along the OL. Jeremy James, who, contrary to some on here's thoughts, IS AN SEC LINEMAN, had his starting game streak broken, and I thought we didn't miss a beat. It will be interesting to see what we do as far as a rotation when we get some guys back and get into SEC play. Extra thought: We have played 2 games, and I have not criticized Micah Pettus yet. I don't know if that is due to his improved play or my realization that he is better than I was giving him credit for. Both things can be true I suppose.
As for WR play, it was good to see Jordan Watkins on the field. Dude has made some big time plays in some big time situations the last couple of years. He will be an X-factor this season if he can stay healthy. Juice Wells seems to be rounding into the form that is/was expected, and like JD, my praise of Tre Harris will most likely become monotonous as the season progresses. Dude is just a matchup nightmare. Cayden Lee had a good game. Prieskorn is just a man. I would hate to meet him in open field.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Nothing significant to report (NTSR).

Author's note: Next week's Week 3 report will be a little late, possibly into Monday. I am making the trip with a friend to Winston-Salem, NC to catch my first game in person this season. Looking forward to it. Thanks to all who take the time to read, like, send encouraging words, and comment on my posts. That is all.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.