ADVERTISEMENT

Week 4 thoughts from a retired (for now) coach

umgrad92

Second Team QB
Gold Member
Saturday night concluded the preseason portion of the schedule for Ole Miss as the Rebels methodically dispatched a game Georgia Southern squad 52-13 in front of a record crowd (bet that record won't last long, just saying) of 67,505 at VHS. As I am sure most of you are, I am tired of these preseason games and ready for a genuine litmus test for this team in SEC play. That will come Saturday against Kentucky, finally. This post will discuss the glass half full vs. the half empty. Hopefully, I won't get long-winded and feel the necessity to thoroughly explain everything I write.

Offense
Half Full

The OL seemed to come together a little this week. They did not allow a sack and GS only had 3 TFLs and a pass deflection (PD). They created some nice lanes for our running backs and didn't miss as many assignments (what I deductively reasoned their assignment after watching the film) as they have in previous games. I thought Beulow, whom I have not been too high on to this point, had a good game, other than one whiff on a counter play. I thought Deigo Pounds played a solid game at the LT position. Finally, it is official, I am a Micah Pettus fan. Dude is just nasty on the run blocking. Added thought: JJ Pegues would have made a TREMENDOUS OL. His feet allow him to move and attain leverage that makes him a cheat code.

The RB room has consistently provided positive yardage plays all season. The return of Henry Parrish Jr has proven to be a huge pickup for us this offseason. He had 89 yards on just 13 carries and is a viable option coming out of the backfield. Matt Jones did a solid job when he was in there and wasn't afraid to stick his helmet in there in pass protection. 219 rushing yards on 36 attempts is good by any standard.

The WR room is deep, talented, and athletic. We have the opportunity to watch history in the making with the play of Tre Harris. That guy will leave Ole Miss as one of the most decorated receivers in our history. Think about that and let that sink in when considering the company he will be a part of. Jordan Watkins is rounding back into form and it was good to see Daquan Wright on the field, although he looked like he was not 100%, at least to me. Juice Wells is going to prevent defenses from weighting their coverage to Harris's side of the field. He is a threat on every snap.

QB1 has a chance to be in the retired number conversation at the rate he is going. Most passing yards through 4 games in the last 20 seasons in the SEC. His deep ball accuracy is really improved and his leadership value is not communicable.

Half Empty

The OL still seems to struggle with running the ball when everyone knows we are going to run it. Great teams always possess the ability to impose their will on the opposition when the time calls for it. Yes, we ran for 219 yards, but most of our offense predicates around our ability to stretch the field. Great teams usually predicate their offense around being able to physically dominate their opponent in the trenches. We just aren't there yet. McIntyre has done an adequate job at C, bu I look forward to the return of Caleb Warren and Jeremy James. Both of these guys have a ton of starts in this league and have been grossly undervalued on this board and in general.

RB does not have a true homerun threat like we had last year. HPJr does not have the extra gear to separate in the open field and Matt Jones is just limited in what he can do from a physical standpoint. UBIV has truly disappointed this year from where most thought he would be compared to where we are. I hope that if there is any possibility of trust being regained and attitude being adjusted, that it happens for the betterment of the team, soon. UBIV has that next gear that strikes fear in defenses. Currently, we do not have that.

The WRs of the future, Williams and White, did not get many (any) reps Saturday night. Cayden Lee got some extensive time, and he is getting better every game. I just wish the other young guys could get some in-game reps. I did not know that Hudson Wolfe had another injury until I went to Wake last week. I guess I missed that somehow. Truly hate it for the young man. He gave all he could to play.

I sure wish QB1 would slide. Dang, he takes a lot of unnecessary hits. We didn't get to see much of Simmons and none of Howard. Oh yeah, JD had another INT. I hope he gets those out of his system before SEC play gets going.

Defense

Half Full

The DL put on another clinic. Walter Nolen is so good. I would hate to be the guy lining up on him. Speed, power, leverage, strength, and agility are all blended in this man. He is a beauty to watch. JJ had another solid game, outside of the tremendous scare he gave all of us when he went out. Like CLK, I immediately said to my friend I was watching the game with, "That looks like a broken collarbone". Thankfully, it wasn't. Prince U played a really good game. The dude has a motor. Zxavian Harris is just a massive human. He has to be difficult to move. I like the group that has Nolen, Harris, JJ, and either Prince U or Perkins on the field. Imposing group. It was great to see the young guys, Franklin, Echoles, Brown, and Kam Beavers get some time.

The LB room is in fine shape as long as Chris Paul can play. That guy plays with a passion that has to be contagious to others. Heck, he makes me want to get out there and get after it. 10 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 TFLs, several pressures and hurries. The dude is a baller. Possibly 2nd biggest offseason get after WN. Khari Coleman quietly played a solid game. 9 tackles, 6 of them solo. He is just a consistent performer. TJ Banks got some meaningful snaps and had 2 tackles.

DBs played possibly their best game as a group to date. Trey Amos had 6 tackles, Brandon Turnage had an INT, and John Saunders was his usual steady self. From a depth perspective, at least 10 different players played meaningful snaps in the game. I thought Isaiah Hamilton had another solid game. Key Lawrence got in some quality snaps. His presence in the rotation would be beneficial.

Half Empty

Why did JJ come back and play, when it was obvious that he was still favoring the shoulder? I am sure people who get paid a lot of money to make those decisions know more than I do, but I would probably just pull the reigns in and live to play another day. Sure hope Jared Ivey gets back by South Carolina. That is going to be a tougher game than most on here are willing to admit. We need all hands on deck. Did Akelo Stone play? Chase hasn't posted snap counts of this writing, and I don't remember seeing him in the game.

The LBs missed TJ Dottery in this game. Hopefully he will be able to come back and play against UK. Depth is a bona fide concern at this position as we move into SEC play.

The DBs committed too many penalties in pass coverage. SEC competition will have better players than what we have played so far. We have got to get better in this area.

Overall

Half Full

4-0. The year was 1989, I think. I was a sophomore at ICC. Ole Miss started 3-0. I remember while driving with some friends to Jackson for the game listening to David Kellum, I think it was his first or maybe 2nd year as the voice of Ole Miss football, talking in the pregame show before we played Arkansas that a win would move Ole Miss to 4-0 for the first time since 1970. I thought to myself, "Wow, that is pretty incredible that we haven't started 4-0 for 19 years." Well, we lost that game 24-17. We would not start 4-0 until 2014. Now, here we are, 4-0, ranked in the top 5, and in serious contention for the SEC and National Championship. These ARE the good ole days. I try to remind myself of this.

Half Empty

We have potential issues with a possible run to the SEC/CFP that must improve. OL play, RB play, DB play, and the number of penalties that we self inflict on ourselves. These things could potentially be dream killers. I hope that all who can pull, will grab the rope and pull it in the same direction (ie UBIV).

SEC play is here! Finally! LFG! Beat UK!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.