ADVERTISEMENT

Week 6 thoughts from a retired (for now) coach

umgrad92

Second Team QB
Gold Member
Made it back from Columbia, SC this afternoon and have spent the last couple of hours reviewing the film in preparation for this post. I always try to review the film before posting, mostly to make sure that I saw what I thought I saw and to solidify pertinent details.
Ole Miss went to USCe with their backs somewhat against the wall after their stunning loss at home last week to Kentucky. Ole Miss played like a team on a mission, taking a 27-3 win in front of a near-sellout crowd of 79.837 at Williams-Brice Stadium.
In this post, I will talk about key plays, splitting them into 2 categories, What we took and what USCe gave us. I will keep them in-game order, and identify each type of play. I will finish up the post by talking about the game experience and possibly single out a few individuals if this doesn't get too long.

1. USCe giveaway - Early in the 1st, USCe holds us on our 1st possession and has a 4th and 1 from their own 36. Everyone in the stadium knew it was a fake punt. We had punt-safe on as Walter Nolen and JJ Pegues were in the game in 2 techs. They went with it anyway, and we stopped them as Paul and Coleman made great plays from the outside. We drive the short field and score to go up 7-0. Us scoring in this manner was tough psychologically for USCe and set the tone for the remainder of the game.

2. USCe giveaway - Later in the 1st, on USCe's next possession, they get a break as we are called for PI, giving them a 1st down in our territory. On 2nd and 10, Their backup QB Ashford decides to pull the ball on zone read but loses the handle and fumbles. We recover. It is a fortunate break for us, as there was a big lane to run with blockers. We drive down and score instead, going up 14-0. This series of events completely neutralizes the crowd.

3. OM take - In the 2nd quarter with OM up 14-0, USCe finally showed some signs of life on offense driving to the OM 30 where they faced a 4th a 3. The defense came up big, getting a coverage sack as Walter Nolen finally broke through and tackled USCe QB Sellers for a loss. Big stop there to preserve the lead that took the raucous crowd out of the game.

4. OM take - Later in the 2nd, We have a 4th and 2 near midfield. CLK decides to go for it (I was vocal in calling for a punt, which drew criticism from some around me) and HPJr is stopped short. USCe QB Sellers breaks the ensuing play to the OM 15. The defense comes up big again, forcing USCe to settle for a FG to cut the lead to 14-3. Even though we gave up points, holding them to a FG was huge for us and a huge letdown for them.

5. OM take - Still in the 2nd, OM had a 2nd and 10 from our own 38. USCe is lined up in a cover 4 look, which is essentially man on the outside. JD hits Tre Harris for a big gain to the USCe 4. We end up getting a FG to extend the lead to 17-3.

6. USCe giveaway - Late 2nd. After an exchange of punts, USCe has a 3rd and 8 at the own 6 with less than 2 minutes left in the half. Sellers completes a crossing route to a wide-open Jarrod Brown, who is going to get the 1st down and a lot more, as there is no one there. Instead, he falls down short of the line to gain, forcing them to punt.

7. OM take - Late 2nd. We take advantage of the gift on the next drive. On 3rd and 6 from the USCe 44, JD hits Jordan Watkins for 43 yards to the 1. JJ scores 2 plays later to put us up 24-3. This essentially ended the game.

8. OM take - First drive of the 3rd. USCe embarks on perhaps their most impressive drive of the day, taking the kick and moving 56 yards in 11 plays, using nearly 6 minutes of the clock. USCe had a 3rd and 3 at the OM 18. Sellers keeps on the zone read, but our defense is there and forces him out of bounds for a 1-yard loss. USCe decides to attempt a 37-yard FG, which is pushed right. Any air in the USCe balloon is completely deflated at this point as Williams-Brice begins to empty. From this point, it was just a matter of us running out the time.

Williams Brice experience

The location is not on campus in a somewhat sketchy area. The parking and tailgating experience is limited, although we met a USCe guy at our hotel that invited us to come to his tailgate, where we met some really nice people and had a good time.
The stadium is impressive and loud. Their fans were really into the game early. The importance of stopping the fake punt and then scoring there and after the fumble can't be understated. They were never a factor.
The concessions were adequate, nothing special but I have been to worse stadium set ups.
The restrooms were in dire need of updating. I thought MSU was the only place in the world where you peed in the floor. USCe says, "hold my beer". Yep, you pee in the floor there too.
The cockaboosees were really cool. They are line of train cabooses that groups can use for tailgating, most likely at a premium price. They were neat and different.

General Observations/Individual Performances

1. Suntarine Perkins played his best game in a Rebel uniform, stepping up big time in Prince U's absence with 12 tackles, 2 TFLs, and a sack. The dude balled out.
2. Trey Amos had a solid game. He had 8 tackles, 7 of them solo, a PD and an INT. His best game in a Rebel Uni as well.
3. TJ Dottery was solid. He led the team with 13 tackles, had a sack, a PD, and 2 TFLs.
4. JD and the offense drew USCe offsides with the hard count numerous times. This was very effective in slowing their edge rush.
5. The OL did a tremendous job protecting JD, allowing only 1 sack and a couple of hurries.
6. I thought both sides were a little obsessed with the Juice Wells storyline. I think it affected their team and fans more than us, but we threw the ball deep to Wells numerous times. I am not saying CLK was trying to stick it to them, but... well... it did appear to be something that we were focused on.
7. Matt Jones is a great teammate and a hard worker, I am sure. As an undersized, limited athlete myself, I have always pulled a little harder for those guys. Heck, I made a coaching career of going to difficult jobs and molding them into winners. All of that said, MJ is NOT an SEC back. I noticed UBIV staying close to CLK all night, as if he wanted to be near in case he was called on. I just don't know what could possibly have happened. I am not at practice or in the locker room. I know that we need additional help at RB and UBIV is a proven commodity. I just don't know....
8. I thought we left the starters in too long, particularly JD and other offensive players. We had several guys already dinged up in the game. Why did we think it was prudent to risk further injury issues in a game that was clearly over?
9. With the win, CLK has now won 100 games in his career. His record at Ole Miss is 39-16. Pretty impressive stuff there.
10. I thought we played an intense, focused, passionate game. We knew what was on the line and we showed up and met the challenge. We need the same effort next week at LSU. They will be ready for us. It is at night. We have to be ready to give our best effort of the season. I love the LSU game. I wish it was at the end of the season instead of MSU. I am getting fired up just writing this. LFG! HYDR! Beat LSU!

Last thought: I originally had no intention of going to the LSU game, as I have been there 3 times, with only the 2001 Eli Manning led win to show for it. That said, several of us were talking about the possibility of loading up and making the trip. If anyone has 2-4 tickets in the lower bowl (I ain't sitting in the upper deck again) and can't go, and would be willing to sell at a reasonable price to some good Rebs, pm me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.