ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: What I'm hearing on coaching staff...

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
I'll be up-front here. Most or all of this is pretty second-hand as information is hard to come by.

However, I feel safe in saying several coaches are absolutely coming back. Obviously, Ole Miss recently hired former N.C. State OL coach John Garrison as its new OL coach, so he's part of the 2023 staff. Derrick Nix, I'm told, recently agreed to a new deal so he's set to return as well. Lane Kiffin thinks very highly of Nix, per multiple sources. It's my understanding from multiple people that Charlie Weis Jr. will remain on the staff. I would suspect that would be as the offensive coordinator, though I suppose it's conceivable Kiffin could bring in another coordinator and do the co-coordinator thing. That's just me guessing.

Defensive line coach Randall Joyner could be a hot commodity elsewhere but Ole Miss will want him to return. He's highly thought of in the industry and is a strong recruiter.

My guess is linebackers coach/co-DC Maurice Crum will be back. He gets a lot of credit, along with Nix, for the successful recruitment of Suntarine Perkins. Running backs coach Marquel Blackwell is also expected back.

After that, things are less sure, from what I'm hearing. There are rumblings about Alabama defensive coordinator Pete Golding. I know they are out there, but I can't find any traction on them. Maybe I'm wrong but as of this moment, I just don't have anything to substantiate those rumors. In fact, I'd be surprised if Ole Miss' DC isn't Chris Partridge, unless Partridge lands another job out there somewhere. He's a major part of Ole Miss' recruiting efforts, on both the high school and transfer portal levels.

The other coaches on the staff are likely exploring options and my guess is Ole Miss wouldn't do anything to discourage those efforts. However, I don't expect some rash of firings. On the heels of an 8-4 season, that would be pretty stupid on Kiffin's part -- and it would be expensive.

Again, I know there are rumors and there's this urgency for news and whatnot, but I think a lot of the speculation is either wrong or premature.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News