ADVERTISEMENT

When the smoke clears after double decker, will this have been the most profitable April in the history of Oxford?

Reb Talking18

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2017
TL;DR: Baseball sucks but this weekend was incredible.

It was a huge win for Ole Miss. Pulling this off was great not only for the bottom line, but also for the national exposure that came with it. I talked to a couple of guys wearing UGA gear at the baseball game today who had never been to Oxford before and wanted to knock it off the SEC town list. They obviously came for Wallen but they spent tons on the square and for a place to stay and they said the next time UGA came to Oxford they absolutely would be there. That type of exposure is invaluable. To pack weekends in Oxford like this during non SEC weekends (reason #150 we need to be good during basketball season) is how you elevate the economy and scale of the University — the trickle down effect helps the athletics programs as well. Kudos to those who made it happen.

I’d be really interested to see the % split between artist and venue but with 90,000 tickets being sold at an average of $300/per that’s $27,000,000. I read that 25%-40% of tickets sales go to the venue. Let’s meet in the middle at 32.5% so that’s nearly $9,000,000. Not sure how MW cancelling affects that but I digress.

I’d wager that two football weekends worth of alcohol was sold in the Vaught, and at inflated prices. I’m not gonna get into that hypothetical math and fund distribution but it’s a ton of money. The city itself was packed and restaurant owners, clothing stores, bars, and Air B&Bs did really well from all accounts.

MW sold out two consecutive shows in our football stadium, that’s kinda wild to say. This won’t be the last big show we have in Oxford. Oh yeah, double decker next weekend.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News