ADVERTISEMENT

Would we consider Jay Ladner (USM) for hoops coach?

cuevasbslreb

Gold Member
Nov 28, 2022
Full disclosure…I have known Jay for 30-years, and consider him a good friend.

Jay has realized success everywhere he has coached…He turned St. Stanislaus H.S. in Bay St. Louis, a place that did not have a storied basketball history, into a legit contender…The Rock-A-Chaws were a fixture at the Miss. Coliseum during state tournaments when Jay was at St. Stanislaus...They eventually won a state championship…His team won the National Jr. College Championship in, I believe, his 2nd season at Jones J.C in Ellisville…He won a Southland Conference regular season championship towards the end of his tenure at Southeastern LA…His first 3-seasons at USM were poor; however, he has been able turn things around this season…Currently USM is 21-4, and 10-2 in the Sun Belt (tied with UL-Lafayette for 1st place)..

Most are aware that St. Stanislaus is a day/boarding school…Jay maximized the boarding aspects at St. Stanislaus to bring in talent that, otherwise, might not have been realized…He recruited 3 – players from NYC to Jones J.C. during their run to the national championship…Can you imagine the culture shock going from NYC to Ellisville? He has built a solid team of transfers this year in Hattiesburg, led by former Ole Miss Reb Austin Crowley (who has a legit shot at Sun Belt POY)…What has been impressive about his team this year is the team chemistry that has been realize, essentially, with a bunch of players that have zero history with one another. He has never had a problem finding talent.

Jay is a USM alum; however, he has always had healthy love of all things Ole Miss…His daughter graduated from Ole Miss…Former Ole Miss Rebel Nick Williams is an assistant coach on Jay’s staff at USM. Jay understands the passion of the Ole Miss fan base. Ole Miss would be a destination job for Jay.

There are no indicators that Jay is a candidate for the Ole Miss job; however, I think it would be a wise choice to give him a look. Admittedly, I am biased; however, I truly believe he would realize success as our coach. He has done so everywhere he has been, and at places that do not have storied basketball histories.

Stephen A. Cuevas
BBA – 1993
Mandeville, LA

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News