ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: A few practice observations on the offense

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Here are a few thoughts on the offensive side of things after watching practice this morning. Remember, IT IS ONE DAY. Do not extrapolate one day out to what it will be for a week, weeks or a season. Also, we'll have more later, but on a tight window. We're trying to get a podcast in before Lane at 2 p.m. back on campus.

AGAIN, IT IS ONE DAY. THAT IS ALL.

It’s one day and Ole Miss isn’t even in pads, but I really like the look of Ole Miss’ offensive front with Broeker, Warren, Umana, Brown and James. As a group, they look mature and as expected more physically in shape compared to a year ago. McIntyre and Acker were the ones beyond them that I noticed the most, for whatever that is worth.

It’s just one day (I’m going to say that over and over again until we get a sample size), but buy some stock in Bralon Brown. He looks the part and Nick Suss mentioned that there’s a chance he’s one of the top guys by the end of the year. He looks like a dude at receiver.

Dontario Drummond had a bit of an inconsistent day, but he used his body well, and he was inside some during drills, tucked fairly close to the line of scrimmage. With his size it’s an interesting look that I didn’t hate. I think he has a good year.

Matt Corral was Matt Corral. He was vocal and energetic and practiced well. Nothing not to like. He danced around all morning and kept his teammates’ energy up. We know he can throw. I’m not going to nitpick that stuff. The bigger thing, again as expected, was he led throughout practice and is the unquestioned head of the team. People respond to him.

I know it’s a question, but I just didn’t see much from the two other quarterbacks — Dent and Altmeyer. There’s a lot I like about Luke, and I’m really interested in his development. He certainly has a chance, but it’s not right now, and it doesn’t need to be right now. Again, let me stress it’s one day.

Casey Kelly was the only offensive player I noticed absent from practice. He had offseason surgery, as you know. That position doesn’t have an obvious every-down player, so Kelly’s absence would be felt if it lasts. Thomas and Rogers fill their roles well and do some nice things, but all eyes seem to be on whether Hudson Wolfe can play immediately and how many snaps and situations. People around the program are incredibly high on him, and there’s certainly a void that he can fill if he meets expectations.

Qua Davis popped a couple times, especially in one-on-one drills. He fought for the football well and used his body to block out defenders. I don’t know what I’m looking at half the time with receivers, but Davis looked better than maybe I expected. He had a nice day from what I saw.

Nothing unexpected from the running backs. Ealy was dynamic in pass catching drills, and the others performed well. Conner looked a little bigger to me, but we haven’t seen a practice in person in two years, so maybe I’ve forgotten. The thing from the day was Ealy’s ability to get open and catch the football. And that Ole Miss has a quality backfield to allow him to do that if Ole Miss chooses. That’s a key storyline for me during camp. I don't know why exactly, but I feel like Ealy will be needed in other spots some. If there's an area of offensive concern, I wonder if they are a receiver short. I easily could be wrong, but it's a thought I have at times. Now Brown or a couple other options could make his point moot quickly.

John Rhys Plumlee has certainly put a little weight on since baseball season, and he played well in the slot. He has to catch the football, but he didn’t look out of place at all with his cuts and routes today. He looked really good with just playing the position. There’s a good bit of optimism that he can do that. My gut tells me he’s the quarterback were something to happen to Matt for any length of time, but otherwise Plumlee likely has found a home, if one day is any indication.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.