ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Arkansas rallies for 5-2 win over Ole Miss in the series opener

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009

This is from the Arkansas Rivals site, and in full disclosure, I've been working on the Beard stuff nonstop -- which is more important at the moment than the other game -- and haven't had a chance to write yet. I'll have the mailbag in the morning with some thoughts included. Ole Miss is 3-7 in the SEC, losing 7 of the last 8 in the league and five straight overall. That's now 9-31 in the last 40 league games. The numbers tell the story.

Tonight was my concern with starting Riley tonight. He was great through five, but when he lost it, it went immediately, and you waste Josh, too, since Ole Miss couldn't get to Smith for more than that. The ball falling just shy of the wall was the offensive play of the game and then those walks in the sixth. Riley lost his release point so fast -- flying open at first and then overcompensating and spiking it.

Bianco:

'We did a good job, and he’s the best pitcher for a reason. Got him out in the sixth and would have liked more damage but its hard. Got some hits and walks and want to bunch them together. That's the hope and when he’s that good, this is what he does every week.

"Not being able to keep them down (was the story). Beating the ace is to try to get an inning to bunch it up and get them out and you have to pitch really well and looked like we were about to do it. Back to back walks and face the middle and that's why they are good. And they got a couple homers, and they do that.

"We played wit a lot more confident but have to do the little things to win baseball games."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News