ADVERTISEMENT

Best SEC stadium atmospheres...my experience

umgrad92

Second Team QB
Gold Member
Again, home on leave and bored, so I have been on this site more than normal for a weekday. The Nettleton legend and I went to Williams-Brice Stadium last week to make it 15 of 16 (Oklahoma will complete things next year) stadiums we have visited. The pod this morning talking about stadiums influencing games, particularly Neal's comment about Arkansas and Jeffrey's rebuttal, spurred me to write what my personal experience was at each stadium. Stadiums I have visited multiple times, I will talk about my best overall experience with little weight on who won the game. In reverse order of atmosphere and experience:

16. Oklahoma - Haven't been there yet. I am sure that this will change after we visit there next season.
15. Vanderbilt - (2022) I know Vanderbilt public address personnel played the video of CNS saying Vandy was the only place that wasn't difficult to play, but he is/was right. Ole Miss, like most of the SEC, had approximately half of the crowd, and Ole Miss won handily. It was like being at a good high school game.
14. Missouri - (2019) Missouri won the game, and it was a relatively quiet crowd. I enjoyed the trip, other than the game, but the atmosphere was not intimidating at all.
13. Kentucky - (2001) The game was the 1st game after the 9/11 tragedy. Eli was a sophomore. Ole Miss won by a couple of scores in a game that wasn't as close as the score. Perhaps it was the backdrop of 9/11, but the stadium was not intimidating at all.
12. Texas - (2013) This might be considered a surprise, or possibly a result of circumstances. Texas had just been torched on the ground by BYU and fired Manny Diaz. We had an outstanding freshmen class. We took the crowd out of the game early and, after weathering a 2nd half charge by Texas, won by double digits in a listless DKR Stadium.
11. Arkansas - (2014) I believe Arkansas has a difficult place to play, and it has been particularly hard on Ole Miss. On this day, it was rainy and cold, and we were playing the week after Laquan broke his ankle at the end of the Auburn game, knocking us out of the playoff hunt. Further, Bo got hurt early and the ensuing play by our backups spurred CHF to charge Barney to "go get Chad Kelly".
10. Texas A&M - (2022) The stadium is massive and obviously the most modern in the SEC. It may rank higher if we had not taken the crowd out of the game early. It was a good experience, but I was honestly expecting more.
9. USCe - (2024) The stadium was rocking early, and if the game had been closer, it probably would rank higher. My SIL, who is an MSU guy, raved about how Williams-Brice rocked when MSU played up there at night last year.
8. MSU - (2013) Definitely not my favorite place, and my last visit to MSU when Ole Miss played there. The place was absolutely rocking. I honestly thought the stands were swaying when Bo fumbled and got tea bagged to end the game.
7. Ole Miss - (2014) I could go one of several ways here. 2023 LSU, 2003 LSU (a loss), and 2008 MSU were all great, but the victory over Alabama on October 4, 2014, is still the best day in my life of Ole Miss football. I hope we top it this year.
6. Florida - (2015) We went to that game, driving all night after getting our butt whipped at home on Friday night, to watch #3 ranked Ole Miss take an even worse butt whopping by the Florida flu squad. Their stadium atmosphere was incredible. I understood the Swamp after that game. Just a miserable weekend.
5. Georgia - (2023) We went into this matchup against a Georgia team that had gotten several key players back and they pulled out all the stops to ensure that they were ready for us. It was a great fun night, even in the rain, if you were a Georgia fan.
4. Auburn - (2013) We should have won this game and ended Auburn's magical 2013 season early. Too many mistakes and a terrible front end of the schedule were too much for a talented but young Ole Miss team. I was on the field at the end. That stadium was LOUD.
3. Alabama - (1998) I could write about several other experiences at BDS, such as 2021, but the 1998 game was a classic. One that Ole Miss should have won but lost in OT. CTT would not use a scholarship on a kicker and it cost us. Like most things associated with college football Alabama has the gameday thing figured out.
2. LSU - (2014) We were undefeated, ranked #3, and playing a slightly above-average LSU team that was playing for its coach, who had lost his mother that day. LSU won 10-7 in a game that we should have won numerous times. Bo and CHF lost their composure for sure and LSU stormed the field. Brought my record at Tiger Stadium to 1-2.
1. Tennessee - (2021) The most incredible atmosphere I have ever been a part of, that Ole Miss won the game. They wanted some of CLK, which means they wanted some of us. I have never heard anything like the roar in that stadium that night. It was wild at the end with the throwing stuff on the field. The only time I have ever been seriously worried about our safety.

That is my list. Share yours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.