ADVERTISEMENT

Chase, a couple of baseball questions...

CMRebel

Five-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Jan 2, 2011
I consider myself somewhat a student of the game, and I've listened on multiple podcasts about coaching philosophy, being over-matched, etc. and I certainly understand that, but I was wondering something from a comment you have made recently about the scouting reports catching up with the younger guys. You may have already answered this and I know some of it has been addressed on the podcasts, but...

Whose responsible for the scouting reports for our hitters? It seems like we are guessing at the plate, up and down the line-up. Even in obvious fast ball counts, we seem to be either looking for something else and taking the pitch or swinging right through it, and it is especially troubling with the older guys. And as bad as we are, we don't need to take anything resembling a strike, especially early in the count and a fastball. I could understand if you had one or two guys just not seeing the ball well, but its like our entire lineup can't hit a fastball consistently, even when they know its coming.

Second, and this is going to sound dumb, but do we not teach situational hitting? Down a couple of runs and instead of trying to drive in a run with bases loaded with a ground ball or advance a runner, we're taking cuts to hit one in the gap or out of the yard. And if we do, which I am sure we do, at what point do you start sitting guys down for more than a game or two, because they are obviously not doing what the coaching staff is asking of them.

Or is this just one of those years where you stick the young guys out there knowing in a year or two you'll be back to competing and start getting ready for football?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.