ADVERTISEMENT

Disassociated from Ole Miss

Beatlesreb

Three-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2015
Panama City, FL
Anyone know what constitutes being disassociated from a university? In reference to those NCAA allegations against us. Acceptance of funds?

Anyone know what constitutes being disassociated from a university? In reference to those NCAA allegations against us. Acceptance of funds?
I'm pretty sure it means that you can't belong to any university-sponsored organizations, can't make any donations, can't get contracts or do business with the university and, in some cases, it means you can't even step foot on campus.

Reactions: msdeltareb
I'm pretty sure it means that you can't belong to any university-sponsored organizations, can't make any donations, can't get contracts or do business with the university and, in some cases, it means you can't even step foot on campus.
That's what I was thinking. More evidence of the stupidity that exists among these allegations. These boosters and businesses know the rules, and outright violated them. As much as I truly hate this, we are screwed! I love Ole Miss, from Oxford, always will love Ole Miss, but it's analogous to a student child who cheated on a major exam, but claiming to be on the Chancellor's List with a 4.00 GPA. Truly saddens me. Thought we were better than this without succumbing to the pressure of winning.

That's what I was thinking. More evidence of the stupidity that exists among these allegations. These boosters and businesses know the rules, and outright violated them. As much as I truly hate this, we are screwed! I love Ole Miss, from Oxford, always will love Ole Miss, but it's analogous to a student child who cheated on a major exam, but claiming to be on the Chancellor's List with a 4.00 GPA. Truly saddens me. Thought we were better than this without succumbing to the pressure of winning.
The SEC West is cutthroat and the arms race is real. Every school has elite athletes, excellent recruiting, top-notch facilities, high-paid coaches and a rabid fanbase that expects to win NOW. Pressure is intense and unrelenting and the truth is that everyone can't go undefeated.

Look at us - Miles is the most successful coach in our history, has a national title, could have had another one and they tried to fire him for having 3 losses in a season where the SEC West once again produced a national champion. Other coaches look at that and start to think that if they don't want to be fired then they need to do whatever they need to do. We all want to do it right, but the truth is that when we put impossible expectations on our coaches and scream EXCUSES! every time a bad call or a key injury costs us a game, we're begging them to do it wrong.

Reactions: Beatlesreb
The SEC West is cutthroat and the arms race is real. Every school has elite athletes, excellent recruiting, top-notch facilities, high-paid coaches and a rabid fanbase that expects to win NOW. Pressure is intense and unrelenting and the truth is that everyone can't go undefeated.

Look at us - Miles is the most successful coach in our history, has a national title, could have had another one and they tried to fire him for having 3 losses in a season where the SEC West once again produced a national champion. Other coaches look at that and start to think that if they don't want to be fired then they need to do whatever they need to do. We all want to do it right, but the truth is that when we put impossible expectations on our coaches and scream EXCUSES! every time a bad call or a key injury costs us a game, we're begging them to do it wrong.
And it especially hurts us as we are ascending into the upper echelon of the SEC West. LSU has always been at least close to the top. You are expected to win-we have been expected to be mediocre and then Coach Freeze shows up. Then this happens. Great response! You're correct.

See @chattreb? This is the right attitude to take. A true fan never wants to see his school cheat because it creates far more damage long-term than it ever does short-term gain.

Reactions: jnharrison
And it especially hurts us as we are ascending into the upper echelon of the SEC West. LSU has always been at least close to the top. You are expected to win-we have been expected to be mediocre and then Coach Freeze shows up. Then this happens. Great response! You're correct.

It's an administration issue. The school let boosters get too much control and input into the direction of the program, then they hired a coach that was willing to break the rules and capitalize on that. All schools have boosters that will overstep their bounds if allowed. Few schools hire coaches that actively work with those boosters to coordinate cheating.

The ones that do, almost always end up getting hammered by the NCAA.

See @chattreb? This is the right attitude to take. A true fan never wants to see his school cheat because it creates far more damage long-term than it ever does short-term gain.
Will do.
It's an administration issue. The school let boosters get too much control and input into the direction of the program, then they hired a coach that was willing to break the rules and capitalize on that. All schools have boosters that will overstep their bounds if allowed. Few schools hire coaches that actively work with those boosters to coordinate cheating.

The ones that do, almost always end up getting hammered by the NCAA.
Right, maybe I'm naive, but I don't think Freeze was hired to overstep bounds and support corrupt boosters. I know you're not saying that, but we now have that reputation from those outside looking in who believe Freeze is cheating. I don't think Coach Freeze is the bad guy in this. It's that one damned coach (Vaughn?) who started things, and boosters who were disassociated.

Will do.

Right, maybe I'm naive, but I don't think Freeze was hired to overstep bounds and support corrupt boosters. I know you're not saying that, but we now have that reputation from those outside looking in who believe Freeze is cheating. I don't think Coach Freeze is the bad guy in this. It's that one damned coach (Vaughn?) who started things, and boosters who were disassociated.
Yes and no... almost universally when a football program gets caught committing some serious infractions, there is 'that one guy' on the staff who coordinates all the shady things with boosters and bagmen, a 'rogue' that everyone in the program knows about, but gives the head coach and administration a degree of separation and a scapegoat should things come tumbling down. I honestly believe that there has never been a head coach who's program got busted for major violations that didn't know what was going on, even if he kept it at an arm's distance, even if he disapproved of it personally but understood that 'that's how things work here'.

Yes and no... almost universally when a football program gets caught committing some serious infractions, there is 'that one guy' on the staff who coordinates all the shady things with boosters and bagmen, a 'rogue' that everyone in the program knows about, but gives the head coach and administration a degree of separation and a scapegoat should things come tumbling down. I honestly believe that there has never been a head coach who's program got busted for major violations that didn't know what was going on, even if he kept it at an arm's distance, even if he disapproved of it personally but understood that 'that's how things work here'.
This rogue I assume would be Vaughn. Sounds like banana republic corruption to me. Very interesting.

Freeze apparently left himself AND the University open to this problem by NOT setting up and implementing a strong monitoring program for ALL aspects of the program! How could he NOT have known that Tunsil was driving illegal loaner cars for 6 frigging MONTHS? Compliance KNEW it and didn't IMMEDIATELY tell a coach? That is inexcusable, IMO, and that is on Freeze because HE didn't have a monitoring system set in place to cover communications with Compliance! This lack was cited in the NOA I believe and at $5 MILLION a year is a serious error on HIS part, especially with the NCAA Nazis already in town! Also, Greeze told Paul Finebaum that he had LEARNED to DOCUMENT everything from this experience! I call BS on that simply because with his experience in teaching and coaching in high school that is something that EVERY teacher or administrator QUICKLY learns to do for self preservation in a litigious world! Hugh has to realize that he is not coaching in the Sunbelt Conference any more; this is the SEC and the excuse of "lack of experience" for errors on and off the field are wearing thin real quick to many fans and mean ZERO to the NCAA!

Reactions: Beatlesreb
Freeze apparently left himself AND the University open to this problem by NOT setting up and implementing a strong monitoring program for ALL aspects of the program! How could he NOT have known that Tunsil was driving illegal loaner cars for 6 frigging MONTHS? Compliance KNEW it and didn't IMMEDIATELY tell a coach? That is inexcusable, IMO, and that is on Freeze because HE didn't have a monitoring system set in place to cover communications with Compliance! This lack was cited in the NOA I believe and at $5 MILLION a year is a serious error on HIS part, especially with the NCAA Nazis already in town! Also, Greeze told Paul Finebaum that he had LEARNED to DOCUMENT everything from this experience! I call BS on that simply because with his experience in teaching and coaching in high school that is something that EVERY teacher or administrator QUICKLY learns to do for self preservation in a litigious world! Hugh has to realize that he is not coaching in the Sunbelt Conference any more; this is the SEC and the excuse of "lack of experience" for errors on and off the field are wearing thin real quick to many fans and mean ZERO to the NCAA!

Great post.

You are wrong about that. LSU relevant for the past 15 years or so. Everyone forgets the 90's. LSU hadn't won a NC in 40 years or so before Saban got there. It's not like they are a historic power in football that pumps out a NC atleast once a decade. This is pumped up by the media. As far as the guys comment on Miles, he should have been fired. No coach has done less with more talent than him except Bianco and we should fire him.

Would Saban if/when your cheating is exposed?
What cheating? Show us proof of anything close to the scale of what Ole Miss has ADMITTED to and your question is valid. Otherwise you're just deflecting with the second grade level retort of "they do it too!"

Lol

You are wrong about that. LSU relevant for the past 15 years or so. Everyone forgets the 90's. LSU hadn't won a NC in 40 years or so before Saban got there. It's not like they are a historic power in football that pumps out a NC atleast once a decade. This is pumped up by the media. As far as the guys comment on Miles, he should have been fired. No coach has done less with more talent than him except Bianco and we should fire him.
Don't think I am. Saving for the mediocre 90s, LSU is AT LEAST a threat to win the SEC almost every season, or even NCs, certainly recruits high caliber players from high schools, and has an indisputable history. Look at their history since the 1970's, Pratt! But I am not disputing their history. It's our history, and we are in deep SH%^! I am stating this as a true fan, and love for my Rebels, and retorts that others do it, too, don't fly. Sorry, it's the way I feel.

What cheating? Show us proof of anything close to the scale of what Ole Miss has ADMITTED to and your question is valid. Otherwise you're just deflecting with the second grade level retort of "they do it too!"

Lol
I won't say that we are innocent, but you guys have problems, too. Alabama fired a coach for cheating. When you cheat, everything is tainted-what else did you or us do? It makes college football a corrupt system, damn it! It's no longer fun to see a kid from Drew, Mississippi (Archie), McAllister (Morton, MS), or Beaver Falls, PA (Namath) make a name for themselves if you're cheating!

Well, wouldn't call the NCAA investigators Nazis. They have a job to do, and the college football world needs a good cleaning. The retort, "They all do it" needs to fade away.

Don't think I am. Saving for the mediocre 90s, LSU is AT LEAST a threat to win the SEC almost every season, or even NCs, certainly recruits high caliber players from high schools, and has an indisputable history. Look at their history since the 1970's, Pratt! But I am not disputing their history. It's our history, and we are in deep SH%^! I am stating this as a true fan, and love for my Rebels, and retorts that others do it, too, don't fly. Sorry, it's the way I feel.

They had patches of where they went 2 or 3 seasons with better than average records from 70 to 2000. They didn't become a household name and relevant in the national scene every single year until saban got there. Again, Miles has pissed away more opportunities than most coaches get. We aren't in deep shite. This too shall pass. We might get a year or two of bowl bans, we will probably have to give up 3-5 scholarships each year for the next 3 or so years but it isn't the end of life and i'll wake up on the right side of the dirt tomorrow if they never play another game.

I won't say that we are innocent, but you guys have problems, too. Alabama fired a coach for cheating. When you cheat, everything is tainted-what else did you or us do? It makes college football a corrupt system, damn it! It's no longer fun to see a kid from Drew, Mississippi (Archie), McAllister (Morton, MS), or Beaver Falls, PA (Namath) make a name for themselves if you're cheating!

If you think Namath or Mcallister didn't get paid you are blind. Archer wasn't even supposed to be the starter so he gets a pass but he got kickbacks after he became the man.

Well, wouldn't call the NCAA investigators Nazis. They have a job to do, and the college football world needs a good cleaning. The retort, "They all do it" needs to fade away.

No they need to pay these kids atleast part of what they are making for the universities. The retort of "they get a college education, room and board" needs to go away.

OK, sounds good. A stipend perhaps so they can go to a movie, get a Subway sandwich, but pay an electric or car bill from a booster? Are you kidding?! And what about those players who are less prominent or who are anomalies? How do you square that? I say get a college education, room, and board, stipend, and a part time job when the season is over, realizing that football players advertise the university more than teachers, engineers, doctors, and so on. Sad but true. I did that! Was on scholarship, had a job, studied, became a teacher and still give to Ole Miss. But when you corrupt the football team, I've got a problem! Those players are no better than what I was as a student. I knew Randy Baldwin, Bill Smith, Charles Childers and Mark Young-great guys! Receiving booster assistance and accepting under the table BS money from coaches-sorry-that's BS!!!

They had patches of where they went 2 or 3 seasons with better than average records from 70 to 2000. They didn't become a household name and relevant in the national scene every single year until saban got there. Again, Miles has pissed away more opportunities than most coaches get. We aren't in deep shite. This too shall pass. We might get a year or two of bowl bans, we will probably have to give up 3-5 scholarships each year for the next 3 or so years but it isn't the end of life and i'll wake up on the right side of the dirt tomorrow if they never play another game.
It may pass, Pratt, but bowl bans for an up and coming team may be devastating to recruiting. Why do you insinuate that you wouldn't be affected if we don't play another game?

OK, sounds good. A stipend perhaps so they can go to a movie, get a Subway sandwich, but pay an electric or car bill from a booster? Are you kidding?! And what about those players who are less prominent or who are anomalies? How do you square that? I say get a college education, room, and board, stipend, and a part time job when the season is over, realizing that football players advertise the university more than teachers, engineers, doctors, and so on. Sad but true. I did that! Was on scholarship, had a job, studied, became a teacher and still give to Ole Miss. But when you corrupt the football team, I've got a problem! Those players are no better than what I was as a student. I knew Randy Baldwin, Bill Smith, Charles Childers and Mark Young-great guys! Receiving booster assistance and accepting under the table BS money from coaches-sorry-that's BS!!!

You don't really know what goes into being a college athlete these days. there is a reason 295 pound men can run a 4.8 40 while recognizing a little extra finger pressure means an OG is coming straight off instead of pulling. Why a receiver shifting 2 steps in signals bubble screen instead of deep out. During the season they spend 10 hours a day on football and in the off season they spend almost as much. Unless your parents are rich you don't have anything as a college athlete but sitting in a room looking at plays or books for class. I get that they are their to go to school but making that statement is almost as asinine as saying everyones doing. And they are. The only way to regulate it is make it legal across the board then you really can hammer someone for going above and beyond.

It may pass, Pratt, but bowl bans for an up and coming team may be devastating to recruiting. Why do you insinuate that you wouldn't be affected if we don't play another game?

Because i wouldn't. I love watching Ole Miss play football and baseball. They lost saturday to get put out of their own host regional going 0-2. Sunday i woke up and it was a normal day just like Friday and Saturday. I have a job, a family and other hobbies. I don't allow a group of people that range from 18-23 years old to really have much bearing on my life. I am glad they win and don't like to see them lose but if this was the end i'd be ok with that too. By the way we could go 1-3 in september but we could just as easily go 4-0. This team is better than last years team.

Oh and you are going to get your wish, Rod Taylor will declare for the NFL at the end of this season so you won't have to worry about him stealing anything or hurting his shoulder anymore. Mark it down.

Because i wouldn't. I love watching Ole Miss play football and baseball. They lost saturday to get put out of their own host regional going 0-2. Sunday i woke up and it was a normal day just like Friday and Saturday. I have a job, a family and other hobbies. I don't allow a group of people that range from 18-23 years old to really have much bearing on my life. I am glad they win and don't like to see them lose but if this was the end i'd be ok with that too. By the way we could go 1-3 in september but we could just as easily go 4-0. This team is better than last years team.

Oh and you are going to get your wish, Rod Taylor will declare for the NFL at the end of this season so you won't have to worry about him stealing anything or hurting his shoulder anymore. Mark it down.
I don't wish Taylor to leave. I wish him to become a man, get a degree, and be responsible. Not much to ask for, esp. the last wish. Furthermore, I took my girlfriend to Mobile to see the USS Alabama and Drum after that Tulane game. Worried about nothing. I still am happy with my life, too. I point out things that are not right, and Ole Miss football isn't. We as fans can just let it go, or we could share our concerns about it. That's what this board is all about.

You don't really know what goes into being a college athlete these days. there is a reason 295 pound men can run a 4.8 40 while recognizing a little extra finger pressure means an OG is coming straight off instead of pulling. Why a receiver shifting 2 steps in signals bubble screen instead of deep out. During the season they spend 10 hours a day on football and in the off season they spend almost as much. Unless your parents are rich you don't have anything as a college athlete but sitting in a room looking at plays or books for class. I get that they are their to go to school but making that statement is almost as asinine as saying everyones doing. And they are. The only way to regulate it is make it legal across the board then you really can hammer someone for going above and beyond.
No, I was not a scholarship athlete. Would you please clarify your last sentence? Not sure what you mean.

No, I was not a scholarship athlete. Would you please clarify your last sentence? Not sure what you mean.

Right now there are no set rules and penalties on violations. It's done on a case by case basis. They may look at other cases to decide punishment but in the end a committee decides what the punishment is in each case. If you set regulations in place, each player gets so much, each school can do a,b,c, then you set the rules of if more that this is given the penalty is this. Right now it's a crapshoot and the NCAA really is just guessing at it all with no real authority. Miami had agents throwing parties for players and got a slap on the wrist, UNC has a 8 year or so academic fraud scandal going on and still no word out of the NCAA. Tell me how can you have any authority if laid out regulations other than, you can't do that but if you do we are going to talk about it and decide what to do afterwards?

GET WHAT YOU'RE SAYING. I WAS LISTENING TO ESPN RADIO YESTERDAY ON THIS MATTER. THEY STATED THAT THERE IS NO REAL AUTHORITY AT THE NCAA LEVEL, LEAVING CONFERENCES TO ENFORCE RULES ON THEIR RESPECTIVE COLLEGES. SIMMONS OF MSU WAS CITED BY BOB GOLIC AS BEING AN EXAMPLE AFTER HE BEAT UP SOME WOMAN. YET, MSU ONLY GIVES HIM A ONE GAME SUSPENSION. ANARCHY AT BEST! AND ABOUT ROD TAYLOR, I TRULY HOPE HE LEARNS FROM HIS DUI AND WHATEVER STUFF HE'S DONE. IT'S NOT THAT I HATE THE GUY. I BELIEVE HE SHOULD BE OFF THE TEAM,THOUGH. WE'VE GOT ENOUGH PROBLEMS ALREADY!

Last edited:
GET WHAT YOU'RE SAYING. I WAS LISTENING TO ESPN RADIO YESTERDAY ON THIS MATTER. THEY STATED THAT THERE IS NO REAL AUTHORITY AT THE NCAA LEVEL, LEAVING CONFERENCES TO ENFORCE RULES ON THEIR RESPECTIVE COLLEGES. SIMMONS OF MSU WAS CITED BY BOB GOLIC AS BEING AN EXAMPLE AFTER HE BEAT UP SOME WOMAN. YET, MSU ONLY GIVES HIM A ONE GAME SUSPENSION. ANARCHY AT BEST! AND ABOUT ROD TAYLOR, I TRULY HOPE HE LEARNS FROM HIS DUI AND WHATEVER STUFF HE'S DONE. IT'S NOT THAT I HATE THE GUY. I BELIEVE HE SHOULD BE OFF THE TEAM,THOUGH. WE'VE GOT ENOUGH PROBLEMS ALREADY!

That's where we have a difference in opinion. I believe things that aren't involved with the school are none of the schools business. Just like in the NFL i don't think the NFL should hand out punishments on things that have nothing to do with the NFL. Ahmad Bradshaw got a 4 game suspension one time from the Giants because of a hearing he was involved in from something that happened two years before he got to the NFL. It isn't on Dan Mullen to not let Simmons in. If the school doesn't let him in that's their right but he wasn't a student at MSU when it happened. The courts will punish him let them do their thing that's why we have them. Now if you are in the middle of football season and you commit a felony then yes that's conduct detrimental to the university and should be dealt with. If you are at home in may and get pulled over for drunk driving that has nothing to do with the university and they should stay out of it unless they want to run his arse off for being stupid.

That's where we have a difference in opinion. I believe things that aren't involved with the school are none of the schools business. Just like in the NFL i don't think the NFL should hand out punishments on things that have nothing to do with the NFL. Ahmad Bradshaw got a 4 game suspension one time from the Giants because of a hearing he was involved in from something that happened two years before he got to the NFL. It isn't on Dan Mullen to not let Simmons in. If the school doesn't let him in that's their right but he wasn't a student at MSU when it happened. The courts will punish him let them do their thing that's why we have them. Now if you are in the middle of football season and you commit a felony then yes that's conduct detrimental to the university and should be dealt with. If you are at home in may and get pulled over for drunk driving that has nothing to do with the university and they should stay out of it unless they want to run his arse off for being stupid.
Reputation, Pratt, reputation! Whether we like it or not, a college football team is built on that. We cannot have a university built on reprobates and questionable character. Imagine parents looking at university with a high caliber blue chipper considering us. Don't you think that kid will be talked out of playing for us? I do. We have to set an example, and coaches often say that. Otherwise, more chaos and problems start up.It is our business!

Reputation, Pratt, reputation! Whether we like it or not, a college football team is built on that. We cannot have a university built on reprobates and questionable character. Imagine parents looking at university with a high caliber blue chipper considering us. Don't you think that kid will be talked out of playing for us? I do. We have to set an example, and coaches often say that. Otherwise, more chaos and problems start up.It is our business!

No they won't be talked out of it. LSU has had players serving probations for rape on their team and they have alot more wanting to play for them than us. I get that you want Ole Miss to be a beacon of light but that isn't the reality we live in. The things that bother you so and are called character issues are very minor things. What we as fans think really doesn't matter though. It's just like gov't and the ones that right the big checks are what matters. You think the felony charges that the bama kids are facing will deter a 5 star running back? hell no. Winning is all that matters to kids these days and winning means they get a bigger look at going to the league. That's what is important to them. 30 years ago your argument would have had some ground to stand on today but now CFB is about getting on the field in a winning program to try to make it to the league. everything else is secondary.

Will do.

The booster in the investigation is not corrupt. You should hope all boosters are that corrupt. He and his wife help poor kids through the fellowship Of Christian Athletes all over Memphis. Most aren't athletes. The problem is the NCAA's definition of "prior relationship. They say he didn't know the kids he brought to Ole Miss before their 9th grade so anything he did for them is illegal. I would not be surprised if he doesn't sue the NCAA over this and the NCAA could end up with a black eye over this.

Last edited:
Ranch, how do you see this situation playing out? What kind of punishment do you forsee when all is said and done?

The booster in the investigation is not corrupt. You should hope all boosters are that corrupt. He and his wife help poor kids through the fellowship Of Christian Athletes all over Memphis. Most aren't athletes. The problem is the NCAA's definition of "prior relationship. They say he didn't know the kids he brought to Ole Miss before their 9th grade so anything he did for them is illegal. I would not be surprised if he doesn't sue the NCAA over this and the NCAA could end up with a black eye over this.

I'm with Ranch on this one. The guy takes kids to multiple other colleges not just Ole Miss. He tries to help underprivileged kids get ahead in life. This is one of the times the NCAA got it completely wrong but they have to try to find some reason for wasting 3 years at ole miss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT