ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Hugh Freeze media day quick hits

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Theme this year is Rise Up. Enjoy these two weeks of camp where we speak truth in their lives and hope they take it outside football. Big thing is to compete and hate to lose. Compete. We have speakers coming in to speak truth to us. We are still trying to elevate our program where we compete for the West year in and year out. Love our coaching staff. That stability means a lot, and our administration is building and doing things to keep us relevant.

We have to keep building chemistry. That is the difference in some wins and losses. Chemistry in the locker room means so much. We have a leadership council with the players.

Love what we see with newcomers. Splitting practice where young kids are getting eight periods to learn by themselves. Good kids and talented and trying to learn. This could be our best class. After two days maybe our best class top to bottom.

Jeremy Liggins is being withheld from camp because of a violation of team standards. We are working to get him out there as he can.

Instructions for Tonny Conner are to get him to the bus. He knows the scheme. He said he feels great. He looks normal. That's exciting for us.

The NCAA situation hasn't stolen our joy at all (of being on the field and working with the players)

First impression for Mageo is a quicker learner. I have to run him out of the building. He's a football junkie. He and Bing-Dukes are similar and they want to learn and know what to do. They move fine. It's two guys who will help us.

Myles Hartsfield has had flashes as has Eric Swinney. But it's early. There haven't been pads yet. All the O-linemen we signed are going to be good but there's development. I'm excited. Ross Donelly has caught my eye.

Need to develop depth at tight end behind Evan. Cooley can be a special player. We need to develop linebacker and make sure we have them ready to go. I'll know more about critical development in a couple weeks.

Playing Givens, Taylor and Little at left tackle. All have potential to be good players. Those three are pretty good and competing.

AJ is farther along this point than Laquon was at this point. What that means longterm I have no idea, but he and DK have been impressive.

Chad Kelly is hungry and determined. He was very sharp in practice today. Looked like the end of the season last year. He completed the first 12 passes today. He looks really good and the ball is going to the right place.

For a true freshman, Shea has a great mental capacity and his mechanics are good. We won't think about redshirt or play until we get into the games. He'll travel and be ready to play. Not even discussing. We are preparing him to play.

Haven't given Derrick Jones the opportunities the talent deserves.

Fadol Brown came out of the boot today. Told Freeze he feels good.

Never been on a staff that faces a September like we are facing. You can be a top 15 team and you're going to be in battles right away. Even Wofford isn't easy because they are tough to defend with their offense on a short week.

I'm more motivated than I've ever been to prove that the men who come here and sacrifice can change the narrative and prove we are here to stay each year competing. We are motivated to compete each year in this conference. We believe in it. Tremendous amount of motivation to remain consistent.

In space, Van Jefferson is the best route runner we have. His hands are steady. In tight quarters his separation is better than anyone I've coached here.

As long as we know the two deep at tackle, it's OK if it's not settled. We'll travel three for that position. Matt will get them there.

If we played a game today, Charles wouldn't play. However, with what I know, we feel Charles should still be practicing and learning right now.

Freeze was asked about any worry about possible NCAA suspension for him. "I'm worried about our football team."

Jordan Wilkins and Akeem Judd are good at every facet of the position -- running, blocking, catching. "I'm confident with them and Swinney. It won't be reason we won't be a good football team."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.