ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Lane Kiffin PC quick hits

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Great to be back. Good practice this morning. A roster that's about half new and work to do with that. Excitement too but it's work and the system can work and sometimes it doesn't. It's not auto so we are working at it. It's not just about having the pieces. It has to mesh together for a team. I'm excitement about the pieces and bring them together. Defensively there are more pieces and that'll take more time because of new coaches and system. We're excited. A lot of work to do.

All 4 QBs are rotating with different units. It's as deep as we've been here with competition and different ages. A guy who's 23 who's supposed to be a sophomore in high school. It's great to have that much talent. It's rare in a QB room these days. It's a great problem to figure out how to rep the guys. Excited to watch them compete.

When asked about Franklin, Lane said he anticipates him playing but he's not today. Said he's not saying much on injuries.

I'd prefer the QB race not go into the season. I want to have the guy but I don't want to risk choosing the wrong one. We've used a game or games to gather info. It's hard to judge. People make bad decisions. You don't want to rush or risk it and say that's the guy. You hope it shows itself.

Leadership is a challenge in this NCAA system and having so many new guys. Outside of OL, only 3 players have been here who are juniors or seniors who signed here out of high school. We have guys who have been here a while, especially OL and Cedric. Big message is about leadership and coming together. It's not an individual sport. Do the work off the field.

Ayden looked really good. He was a great HS player and he looks special and unique. You never know until pads. Reescano has elite traits and did good things also.

I don't spend time on what makes the season a success as far as wins or conference finish. You want to coach well and play well. Sometimes the ball hits the upright. I know it's about the wins and losses, but it's about coaching well and playing well and be hard to beat. At the end of last year we weren't hard to beat. Turnovers and not enough good plays. Bad in red zone. We need to be hard to beat. Make people really have to work to beat us. That's an emphasis.

Golding is high energy and I like being around him. He coaches well and is still young, but he knows so much and relates well to players. He's exactly what you'd hope he is. Everyone is impressed by him.

I'm glad the pieces look good. When you the pieces don't look good, you're in trouble. You have to tackle and cover. We have really good pieces. Now it's our job to put them together.

I'm not complaining about my job. Jimmy won't like this, but we're overpaid for what we do. It's fun to come to work and do what we do. It's a challenge to build a program. Everything is so new every year. It's not a good system and there are problems with the format of the sport, but we still maximize it because it's what we're paid to do under the system. We don't have another sport to look to in order to understand. If you get a freshman and they play well and you play them and then they are getting recruited at end the of the season. I don't like that you get away from Xs and Os. I mean we're still working on roster. There might be someone tomorrow on the roster not there today. It's not normal.

I'm fine with the criticism. I'm going to keep talking and when you say a lot of things, people pick out words to suit them. I said it's a bad system. In two ways. Not the entire sport. I think our collective does a great job -- Walker and our donors. I wasn't even talking about here. I was saying in general. I'm not complaining about the money they get. I don't like the inability to sign them to longer contracts. They can be free agents twice a year.

Ideally we have high school success and rely less on the portal. I'm just maximizing the situation I'm in. The situation changes each year. We had the ball in the red zone to get to 9-1. The end was bad but there was another side of it. We did some good things, too.

Yeah I'm worried about continuity. I'm honest. I haven't seen them yet and there are new coaches and systems. But I'm also excited about the pieces and what's possible. It just is what it is. I looked today and the unit out there is so new. There were 11 players on defense and Cedric was only one who signed here out of high school. We can't follow the book from 100 years ago.

The player wants to be the quarterback, but that's not my job. My job is not to one player but to the team. We have to make the best decision. I get it. I don't mind a player getting frustrated. It's good. But we communicate with them well so they know what's going on.

It's awesome in the new facility. Donors did a great job. It's exciting. I think it helps with high school recruiting. Prior to this they only saw drawings. It's real.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.