ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Lane Kiffin PC quick hits

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Excited to come back home after a road trip. Play in front of our crowd and have a lot of work to do this week and clean up –penalties and red zone and pass defense. Clay Helton does a great job and they are really good. Won at Nebraska a couple years ago. Have to continue to get better and clean up. Positives are you have a 34 point win against ACC team and not play to our standards and leave points out there. Told them today it’s a good and bad thing and depends what you make it. Take care of ball and make better decisions. Bad thing you are that talented and if you ignore it the teams will get you as they get better.

Clay is awesome and one of the finest people I’ve ever met. Great wife Angela and great human being. Another of my dad’s things where he was a way of finding new coaches and I didn’t know him and my dad told me to interview him when I was at USC and the year before he was at Memphis and did some good scheme stuff against my dad and I on defense at Tennessee. He was at Arkansas State at the time and interviewed him and was really impressed and good coach and great person.

I saw the players said that about it being an ugly 600 yard game and says a lot about where our program is and how we think. Especially to where we got here. I told our fans to enjoy what’s going on and there were days we wouldn’t find issues with 34 point ACC wins. You’d just be happy to win. That coach in there was 4-0 against SEC teams coming into that game and it shows a good standard and internal expectations. Playing really well because you have to as the opponents improve.

Nothing negative about Bentley. Some of that is in our program and we have a good roster. Cost-benefit of everything and benefit is good players and can be good and cost is people aren’t playing as much as they’d like. A number of our players. It’s not what Bentley has done. Other two guys have played extremely well. Bentley missed time in the spring and we have confidence in him. In that game we were pass heavy and we didn’t go to the third back which is what he is right now. The good thing is with hard decisions is at least we’re playing well. The bad would be if we’re not scoring and veteran isn’t playing. It’s hard to argue when the other two – especially Henry – are doing what they are doing.

The guys are doing a good job in the secondary. Key Lawrence missed time with injury. Concussion and just got back. And when you miss time you lose reps and you’re at a disadvantage. Key will play well on special teams and get back in the flow on defense. He’s don’t well

Bentley has done a good job and been on special teams. I feel for the players when it’s happened. It happens in the NFL. It’s not easy to do.

Gerquan is coming back from injury and wasn’t 100 percent but his strength in there shows you what he can be. It’s his first week back even practicing. We’re looking for the best five guys and rotating guys through like other positions.

I anticipate Gerquan playing center moving forward. With three inside guys out it’s been about finding the best rotation. So the first time back isn’t center on the road. He played a lot more reps in his career at guard.

More safety when we talk about secondary getting better. It’s penalties and grabbing guys and getting beat in coverage. And when you put something on tape and you have penalties, they are going to target you. You have to improve.

Really abnormal thing for Wake to do. You don’t usually do that in the season before the next game. It’s hard and there aren’t many people to play. You make deals in advance. I’ve never heard that like this. We’re at a disadvantage and it’s not appreciated very much. We have to find someone and then pay them. It’s kind of an unwritten rule not to do that. We’re looking into things. It’s hard everyone has schedule so dominoes in there. We had a Power Four scheduled and so a team before has gotten a waiver to get through the SEC rule. It’s not what we want to do but they put us in a weird situation to maybe have to. I find it amazing the week of the game to tell the team. John Currie was like we are going to tell them the week of and disrupt them. That was the plan. You have to get a waiver from the SEC to not have a Power Four. I don’t know what our options are yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.