ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville 5, Ole Miss 3 - Thoughts and notes

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
There's no reason to spend a ton of time on this one. Ole Miss falls to 8-7 on the season after a 5-3 loss to Louisville on Tuesday. The two teams play again Wednesday at 2 p.m. Neither team has announced a starter as I write this.

First, on the starter thing. Jacob Waguespack was very good in relief tonight. He walked a couple but didn't allow a hit in two innings and he had two strikeouts. Waguespack threw 23 strikes in 39 pitches. That needs to be better as he averaged five pitches per batter, but overall it was impressive. He also inherited a runner in scoring position.

I have no idea who will start tomorrow. And I don't know if Sam Smith is supposed to start Sunday. How's that for analysis? Tuesday was confusing if you were trying to guess because it's not a bullpen day for the Sunday starter, so it's uncommon if it was live work for Waguespack to get ready for Sunday. However, if Waguespack isn't starting Sunday, why did he throw in relief today instead of starting tomorrow? No idea. We'll know more when we hear who's starting tomorrow. If you made me guess, I wouldn't be shocked to see Sam or Will Stokes start tomorrow. Then one of those two or Waguespack throw on Sunday.

Same song, different verse for the Ole Miss offense. The Rebels went 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position and 2-for-14 with runners on base. Ole Miss got just five hits but couldn't do much with three Louisville errors. The Cardinals were bad defensively in the infield. The inning that sticks out is the seventh, when Ole Miss put two on with no outs down 4-2. Will Golsan struck out after two fouled bunts, and JB Woodman walked to load the bases. Sikes Orvis stuck out, Colby Bortles walked to score a run, and Henri Lartigue fouled out.

Louisville was 5-of-13 with runners in scoring position.

Ole Miss got a runner to third with one out in the second, but Errol Robinson struck out and Tate Blackman grounded out to end the inning.

Evan Anderson was OK on Tuesday. He gave up four runs on 10 hits in 4.2 innings with six strikeouts and one walk. He allowed single runs in four straight innings. Two huge double plays limited the damage. He gets credit for throwing the double plays but man that was walking a fine line.

Cam Dishon was the only player with multiple hits. He also hit his first career home run. That's the purpose of the new balls, though he crushed it. It might have been gone anyway. He scored two of Ole Miss' three runs.

Scott Weathersby gave up a solo home run in the eighth. That's two straight appearances where he's entered with Ole Miss behind.

Until the situational hitting gets better, this is going to continue to be a mediocre situation. They are missing a lot of opportunities and not pitching lights-out enough to offset it. Ole Miss is 1-6 when giving up four runs or more, and the one was the season opener. It's hard to win consistently when four runs gets you beat.

This post was edited on 3/10 8:28 PM by Chase Parham

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.