ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Rebels fans?

Feb 19, 2007
ESPN just release its Too Early Top 25 for 2016 and Ole Miss was #13 and FSU was #6. As you guys know, we'll be playing you in Orlando in the new Citrus Bowl Stadium on Labor Day night to open the 2016 season.

Couple of questions: 1) How many of you will make the trip. Obviously there are going to be more Nole fans than Ole Miss fans due to the fact that Orlando is right in the heart of Florida. But how well do you think Ole Miss will be represented at the game. 2) How is Ole Miss's team looking next year. At FSU we return 10 starters on Offense including Dalvin Cook and 6 starters on Defense. We lost Cornerback Jalen Ramsey (projected Top 10 pick) and Kicker Roberto Aguayo (2013 Groza Winner) to the Draft as early draft entries. 2015 was more of a rebuilding year but we should be stacked again next season. Obviously Hugh Freeze has you guys recruiting at a high level too so how do you see the 2016 Ole Miss team being in terms of strengths and weaknesses?

Last edited:
We are losing a few but are returning some solid players. Our secondary is one of the biggest questions and will be starting a true freshman at LT. Cook isn't that much of a concern. We shout down good backs most of the time. He will probably rush for a hundred but don't expect him to have a career day. We held Henry and Fournette to low totals.

We are losing a few but are returning some solid players. Our secondary is one of the biggest questions and will be starting a true freshman at LT. Cook isn't that much of a concern. We shout down good backs most of the time. He will probably rush for a hundred but don't expect him to have a career day. We held Henry and Fournette to low totals.
The secondary? I question that. Sorry, Pratt. We've got Bridges, Hampton, Conner, and Webster back, and then Ordway.Will be fine there, I believe. Ole Miss fans will show up, rest assured, esp. against FSU. Similar to our Sugar Bowl in New Orleans. Seemed like the whole town was taken over by Rebel fans! Our defense will kick in once again. Kelly is amazing. Ole Miss 24 FSU 13. I will be there. Live in Panama City and WILL be taking off from work.

The secondary? I question that. Sorry, Pratt. We've got Bridges, Hampton, Conner, and Webster back, and then Ordway.Will be fine there, I believe. Ole Miss fans will show up, rest assured, esp. against FSU. Similar to our Sugar Bowl in New Orleans. Seemed like the whole town was taken over by Rebel fans! Our defense will kick in once again. Kelly is amazing. Ole Miss 24 FSU 13. I will be there. Live in Panama City and WILL be taking off from work.

at times our secondary was a weakness this year with most of the players you listed. I don't think you realize how good of a player Elston actually was back there. It could be alright but there are still questions. I should have listed Linebacker aswell but i believe we will be ok with our dline hiding some of the linebackers short comings.

one of the keys will be getting back Issac Gross...he was often overlooked on the D line due to Nkemdiche getting all the attention but he's been a beast since he started as a Freshman. I think if CJ Hampton can live up to his billing (he's been disappointing thus far IMO) and Demarquis Gates puts up consistent performances like he did when Denzel went out we will be in really good shape defensively.

Our biggest weakness over the past couple years has been depth, which is why we've started well and sputtered down the stretch. Since this one is early I feel pretty good about it. Feel bad for FSU, they will face probably the two best QBs in the country next year...

one of the keys will be getting back Issac Gross...he was often overlooked on the D line due to Nkemdiche getting all the attention but he's been a beast since he started as a Freshman. I think if CJ Hampton can live up to his billing (he's been disappointing thus far IMO) and Demarquis Gates puts up consistent performances like he did when Denzel went out we will be in really good shape defensively.

Our biggest weakness over the past couple years has been depth, which is why we've started well and sputtered down the stretch. Since this one is early I feel pretty good about it. Feel bad for FSU, they will face probably the two best QBs in the country next year...

I agree. But we've got a pretty good QB coming up named Deondre Francois. Keep an eye on him. He'll be a Redshirt Freshman. Those that have seen him at practice say he throws a prettier ball than Jameis Winston. Time will tell if he processes things as fast as Winston did.

Chad Kelly is great no doubt. But we've got a great Secondary and Defensive Line coming back. 4 and 5 Star players and future NFL players at every level of the defense. We defended Deshaun Watson better than Bama did. We held them to 23 points on the road. The problem was we only scored 13 points due to poor QB play and a young OLine. The OLine will be a year older and QB play is where Francois hopefully comes in. If Maguire is still our starter at QB we're in deep trouble and are looking at 2 or 3 losses. We have the players to stop Watson and Kelly but they have the tools to move the ball on us as well. That's what you call an even matchup and the outcome will be determined by who executes the best.

The only thing I'll say in terms of prediction is it will be a fantastic matchup. Both teams are capable of winning it. And it's a matchup that wouldn't be happening if we were still in the BCS era and teams were still scheduling cupcakes and FCS Programs.

I definitely respect how far Ole Miss's program has come and it will be a heck of an opener between two probable Top 10 teams.

Last edited:
I agree. But we've got a pretty good QB coming up named Deondre Francois. Keep an eye on him. He'll be a Redshirt Freshman. Those that have seen him at practice say he throws a prettier ball than Jameis Winston. Time will tell if he processes things as fast as Winston did.

Chad Kelly is great no doubt. But we've got a great Secondary and Defensive Line coming back. 4 and 5 Star players and future NFL players at every level of the defense. We defended Deshaun Watson better than Bama did. We held them to 23 points on the road. The problem was we only scored 13 points due to poor QB play and a young OLine. The OLine will be a year older and QB play is where Francois hopefully comes in. If Maguire is still our starter at QB we're in deep trouble and are looking at 2 or 3 losses. We have the players to stop Watson and Kelly but they have the tools to move the ball on us as well. That's what you call an even matchup and the outcome will be determined by who executes the best.

The only thing I'll say in terms of prediction is it will be a fantastic matchup. Both teams are capable of winning it. And it's a matchup that wouldn't be happening if we were still in the BCS era and teams were still scheduling cupcakes and FCS Programs.

I definitely respect how far Ole Miss's program has come and it will be a heck of an opener between two probable Top 10 teams.
It will be a fantastic matchup. Isaac Gross will be back along with Breeland Speaks on the DL, but Cook is an awesome RB. That's where the game will be won in my view-our DL vs FSU's running game that's always great. Definitely will be keeping an eye on Francois. Looks to be a terrific game.

Agree on terrific game. Great choice by the committee. We lose some very strong starters but replacements more than filled in during some down times. We will be on a mission with our vets, our wounded warriors and our newly christened. I believe Kelly will guide us to V!

Agree on terrific game. Great choice by the committee. We lose some very strong starters but replacements more than filled in during some down times. We will be on a mission with our vets, our wounded warriors and our newly christened. I believe Kelly will guide us to V!

Engram will have a huge year next year... You can book that..

He kind of got lost in all the talented WR's this past year.. Next year will be his year to shine...

ESPN just release its Too Early Top 25 for 2016 and Ole Miss was #13 and FSU was #6. As you guys know, we'll be playing you in Orlando in the new Citrus Bowl Stadium on Labor Day night to open the 2016 season.

Couple of questions: 1) How many of you will make the trip. Obviously there are going to be more Nole fans than Ole Miss fans due to the fact that Orlando is right in the heart of Florida. But how well do you think Ole Miss will be represented at the game. 2) How is Ole Miss's team looking next year. At FSU we return 10 starters on Offense including Dalvin Cook and 6 starters on Defense. We lost Cornerback Jalen Ramsey (projected Top 10 pick) and Kicker Roberto Aguayo (2013 Groza Winner) to the Draft as early draft entries. 2015 was more of a rebuilding year but we should be stacked again next season. Obviously Hugh Freeze has you guys recruiting at a high level too so how do you see the 2016 Ole Miss team being in terms of strengths and weaknesses?

Should be a great game. Funny thing is we had Clemson on the schedule in 2015 and 2016 and they backed out. FSU will have to beat us in the air. No matter how good your running game is we can stop it. Our D line will be the strength of the team. We did a good job stopping Bama's and LSU's running games and they had the top two RB's in the nation. We have experience at CB but our safeties aren't proven. The winner of the game should be in the mix for the NC.

Reactions: rebinthebox
Should be a great game. Funny thing is we had Clemson on the schedule in 2015 and 2016 and they backed out. FSU will have to beat us in the air. No matter how good your running game is we can stop it. Our D line will be the strength of the team. We did a good job stopping Bama's and LSU's running games and they had the top two RB's in the nation. We have experience at CB but our safeties aren't proven. The winner of the game should be in the mix for the NC.
Well, Dalvin Cook is a different type of running back than Henry and Fournette. Those guys are what I call bruisers. Dalvin Cook is more of a home run guy. So how is that different. Well, Dalvin is more likely to get 2 yards, 3 yards, 2 yards, then pop a big one. The reason is when the OLine gets him into the second level of the defense at all he is faster, has more wiggle than Henry or Fournette. He is very difficult to get on the ground when he is able to get out into space. Florida held Dalvin to 30 yards in the first 3 quarters and he had 150 yards in the 4th quarter. The key against Dalvin is to never let him break the initial run fit by the Defensive Linemen. That is hard to do for the entire game because all it takes is one bad run fit and he can take it to the house.

Where Henry in Fournette are better than Dalvin is they are bigger and more powerful and are more capable of making a 3 yard gain into a 5 or 6 yard gain by moving the pile. They are more physical and that wears on the defense. But they are not as likely as Dalvin to take it to the house when they break into the secondary. They can but they don't have the wiggle that Dalvin has. They rely on pure speed whereas Dalvin has pure speed and wiggle.

I'm sure Ole Miss's run defense is outstanding. Just making the point that Cook is a different type of running back than Henry or Fournette. Not better or worse, just different.

Well, Dalvin Cook is a different type of running back than Henry and Fournette. Those guys are what I call bruisers. Dalvin Cook is more of a home run guy. So how is that different. Well, Dalvin is more likely to get 2 yards, 3 yards, 2 yards, then pop a big one. The reason is when the OLine gets him into the second level of the defense at all he is faster, has more wiggle than Henry or Fournette. He is very difficult to get on the ground when he is able to get out into space. Florida held Dalvin to 30 yards in the first 3 quarters and he had 150 yards in the 4th quarter. The key against Dalvin is to never let him break the initial run fit by the Defensive Linemen. That is hard to do for the entire game because all it takes is one bad run fit and he can take it to the house.

Where Henry in Fournette are better than Dalvin is they are bigger and more powerful and are more capable of making a 3 yard gain into a 5 or 6 yard gain by moving the pile. They are more physical and that wears on the defense. But they are not as likely as Dalvin to take it to the house when they break into the secondary. They can but they don't have the wiggle that Dalvin has. They rely on pure speed whereas Dalvin has pure speed and wiggle.

I'm sure Ole Miss's run defense is outstanding. Just making the point that Cook is a different type of running back than Henry or Fournette. Not better or worse, just different.
How do you judge your OL? I know it sounds cliched, but I think the game will be won between the OL and DL of both teams-"the trenches."You mentioned FSU's kicker graduating. Any replacement yet? Special teams is often overlooked. A kicker can win a game, but so can the punter. We don't have a good punter. Rather rugby kick than boom it. Kicker is fine.

Last edited:

pretty sure you haven't watched Fournette run in a single game. That guy broke long run after long run. He is a big powerful back but every bit as fast as cook. The difference is Ole Miss is better side line to side line on defense which shuts down speed backs instead of the power backs up the middle. Good strong runners have more success against Ole Miss.

pretty sure you haven't watched Fournette run in a single game. That guy broke long run after long run. He is a big powerful back but every bit as fast as cook. The difference is Ole Miss is better side line to side line on defense which shuts down speed backs instead of the power backs up the middle. Good strong runners have more success against Ole Miss.
FSU's OL BETTER block well. Not trying to boast, but Ole Miss' DL will be ready. Fadol Brown, Isaac Gross, Marquis Haynes, and Breeland Speaks are more than adequate replacements from this past season, barring injury. No telling who else. The game in my prediction will be won here.

I did watch Fournette, but he didn't break nearly as many long gainers as Cook. He broke a few for sure. He might be as fast as Cook in a straight line. But I'm talking about the ability to be running full speed and cut on a dime. Nobody is in Dalvin Cook's league when it comes to that and I've seen Henry, Fournette and McCaffrey this season. Go to Youtube and search for Dalvin Cook runs and you'll see what I am talking about. Dalvin Cook averaged 7.9 yards per carry this season. Fournette averaged 6.4 yards per carry. That is a really big difference. Again, I'm not saying Cook is better overall running back than Fournette, I'm just saying his style is different and he's more of a home run threat. He also more likely to get stuffed for No Gain than Fournette too.

7.9 yards against ACC competition.
I get it. Stats only matter when you play in the SEC. In fact the SEC has a monopoly on good Football teams and good Football players. Everybody in other conferences are just inferior. [eyeroll]

I hate when people use the old conference argument to discount a person's stats. Give me a break. Somehow the NFL Scouts like the talent we are producing. 29 players drafted from 2013-2015, a modern record over a three year period for most players drafted from one school. And Arkansas lost to Toledo and Texas Tech, South Carolina lost to The Citadel and Auburn needed OT to beat FCS Jacksonville State. That's 3 of Fournette's opponents. The ACC is not that far below the SEC. The SEC is better but there isn't that much of a difference. Certainly not enough to discount a running back averaging 7.9 yards per carry and say it's only because of the conference he is in. Especially when that running back rushed for 180 yards and 2 TDs for a 7.4 yards per carry against the SEC East Champ Florida. Also, the ACC went 3-1 against the SEC on Rivalry weekend.

Ask Memphis if everybody in the SEC is unbeatable.[winking]

Last edited:
I get it. Stats only matter when you play in the SEC. In fact the SEC has a monopoly on good Football teams and good Football players. Everybody in other conferences are just inferior. [eyeroll]

I hate when people use the old conference argument to discount a person's stats. Give me a break. Somehow the NFL Scouts like the talent we are producing. 29 players drafted from 2013-2015, a modern record over a three year period for most players drafted from one school. And Arkansas lost to Toledo and Texas Tech, South Carolina lost to The Citadel and Auburn needed OT to beat FCS Jacksonville State. That's 3 of Fournette's opponents. The ACC is not that far below the SEC. The SEC is better but there isn't that much of a difference. Certainly not enough to discount a running back averaging 7.9 yards per carry and say it's only because of the conference he is in. Especially when that running back rushed for 180 yards and 2 TDs for a 7.4 yards per carry against the SEC East Champ Florida. Also, the ACC went 3-1 against the SEC on Rivalry weekend.

You ever heard of playing down to your competition ??

I don`t know why we agreed to play in a neutral site like Orlando !! May as well played in Tally.

Reactions: rebinthebox

We are talking about Ole Miss vs FSU. Personally, I have been referring to attributes and successes that OM has had, NOT because we are in the SEC and deserve all the accolades. That really means nothing. We had our bumps in the road, but came through with a very strong defense late in the season. We do have a great defense, in spite of those we lost. FSU will have to overcome that defense next season. Yet, it is true that Ole Miss has a way of stopping great RBs, so Cook cannot take us lightly. He's NOT inferior and he may end up running all over the field a la UF. The worst thing Ole Miss can do is to disrespect FSU. If that happens-and we won't-it's a loss. But because we are in the SEC doesn't mean we are better.

We are talking about Ole Miss vs FSU. Personally, I have been referring to attributes and successes that OM has had, NOT because we are in the SEC and deserve all the accolades. That really means nothing. We had our bumps in the road, but came through with a very strong defense late in the season. We do have a great defense, in spite of those we lost. FSU will have to overcome that defense next season. Yet, it is true that Ole Miss has a way of stopping great RBs, so Cook cannot take us lightly. He's NOT inferior and he may end up running all over the field a la UF. The worst thing Ole Miss can do is to disrespect FSU. If that happens-and we won't-it's a loss. But because we are in the SEC doesn't mean we are better.
I have a lot of respect for Ole Miss. By that I mean Ole Miss period independent of the conference they are in. Not because Ole Miss is in the SEC. Is Kentucky a world beater program because they are in the SEC? No way. How about Vandy or South Carolina? No way.

I didn't mean to inflame anybody but I just hate it when SEC fans thump their chest like they are the only conference that knows how to play football. The SEC is the best conference. That isn't debatable. But the gap isn't as wide as the SEC chest thumpers would leave you to believe. The ACC had 47 players drafted in 2015. The SEC had 54. That is very close in numbers of players drafted. And in Non-Conference play excluding Bowl Season the SEC took its share of loses to teams from other conferences.

I was just responding to that poster that downgraded Dalvin Cook's 7.9 yards per carry average as if he only did that because he played in the weak ACC. Dalvin Cook was a 5 Star prospect coming out of High School. So was Fournette. They both had great years regardless of the conference they play in.

Looks like your doing all the chest thumping. Play an SEC schedule week in and week out and well, the ACC "is what it is". Let's agree to let it play out on the field.

Looks like your doing all the chest thumping. Play an SEC schedule week in and week out and well, the ACC "is what it is". Let's agree to let it play out on the field.
I said the SEC is the best conference. How is that chest thumping? What you guys are doing is trying to insinuate that FSU is 2nd rate because we are in the ACC. Like Dalvin Cook isn't that good because he pads his stats against ACC teams. We have 3 National Championships. How many does Ole Miss have? FSU is 7-1 against SEC Teams since Fisher took over in 2010. I would love to play an SEC schedule week in and week out. You can speculate all you want about how FSU would do playing an SEC schedule but the bottom line is it ain't going to happen so it's speculation. All I know is what our record is when we have played against SEC teams since Fisher took over and it's 7-1. But like you said, we'll see how it goes on Labor Day night.

I said the SEC is the best conference. How is that chest thumping? What you guys are doing is trying to insinuate that FSU is 2nd rate because we are in the ACC. Like Dalvin Cook isn't that good because he pads his stats against ACC teams. We have 3 National Championships. How many does Ole Miss have? FSU is 7-1 against SEC Teams since Fisher took over in 2010. I would love to play an SEC schedule week in and week out. You can speculate all you want about how FSU would do playing an SEC schedule but the bottom line is it ain't going to happen so it's speculation. All I know is what our record is when we have played against SEC teams since Fisher took over and it's 7-1. But like you said, we'll see how it goes on Labor Day night.

How did you expect this conversation to go? We all feel that there isn't a player on your team that is any better than the players we face week in and week out. We stated that to you and you got butthurt cause we didn't praise how good FSU is. You may win the game but it won't be because you are lights out better or have players we can't play with. It will come down to coaching decision before and during the game and how our players and your players execute that gameplan. You probably won't face a front 4, receiving corp and only one QB as good as Ole Miss the rest of the season. We will face teams that are just as talented or better than FSU this year and next year.

How did Cook fare against Houston??

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
18 - 33 - 1.8 - 1 - 9

Not worried about that.

How did you expect this conversation to go? We all feel that there isn't a player on your team that is any better than the players we face week in and week out. We stated that to you and you got butthurt cause we didn't praise how good FSU is. You may win the game but it won't be because you are lights out better or have players we can't play with. It will come down to coaching decision before and during the game and how our players and your players execute that gameplan. You probably won't face a front 4, receiving corp and only one QB as good as Ole Miss the rest of the season. We will face teams that are just as talented or better than FSU this year and next year.
I'm not butt hurt. It's just that you are basically reminding me of South Carolina fans when they had a nice three year run from 2011-2013. They haven't won anything of consequence so they'd ride the coattails of the SEC as if simply being in the SEC made them a superior program to FSU. There was a good article in my local paper about this. Basically it said of the 8 National Championships the SEC has won since 2006, 6 of them were won by Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. Basically the entire SEC has riden on the coattails of those two coaches.

I didn't expect you to praise FSU and say how great they are. But belittling our accomplishments because of the conference we are in is out of line. FSU has the highest winning percentage of any college football team in the last 30 years. That record is worthy of at least some respect.

So you are essentially saying playing FSU is no different than playing Arkansas, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Auburn, ect.? Real world beaters those teams are. I'm not even going to mention the entire SEC East. The NFL Draft the past three years indicates you are wrong.

Last edited:
Look at my previous post and you'll have your answer.
SchmidtyNole, I can speak for myself. You are not inflaming me. Don't think anyone is, if they are honest with themselves. I have the utmost respect for FSU, especially living in Panama City and hearing about FSU news and commercials everyday on the local radio affiliate. Your stadium is incredible! Was a student there as well-PC Campus. In my way of seeing things, we haven't had such great success in many years like we have now. We are no longer cellar dwellers in the SEC. Hence, there will chest thumping. Pratt was right, though. Call it chest thumping, but we'll be ready for FSU.

I asked Georgia Tech if it's possible to beat FSU while holding Dalvin Cook to 82 yards, a 4.8 yard avg. with a long run of 17 yards, and one TD. [winking]

Fine, i'll say it. I think FSU is garbage, your coach is garbage, your old raping qb was garbage and your current running back might now start for half the teams in the SEC. You got what you wanted we are starting a war. No run along home and be pissed off that big bad Ole Miss is talking trash.

By they way the SEC has nothing to do with us being better than you. Us being Ole Miss makes us better than you so go eat a giant bag of D's

SchmidtyNole, I can speak for myself. You are not inflaming me. Don't think anyone is, if they are honest with themselves. I have the utmost respect for FSU, especially living in Panama City and hearing about FSU news and commercials everyday on the local radio affiliate. Your stadium is incredible! Was a student there as well-PC Campus. In my way of seeing things, we haven't had such great success in many years like we have now. We are no longer cellar dwellers in the SEC. Hence, there will chest thumping. Pratt was right, though. Call it chest thumping, but we'll be ready for FSU.
Fair enough. That was a very classy post. I think Ole Miss has definitely moved into the elite category and we'll have to play our best to win.

Reactions: Reblarry
Fine, i'll say it. I think FSU is garbage, your coach is garbage, your old raping qb was garbage and your current running back might now start for half the teams in the SEC. You got what you wanted we are starting a war. No run along home and be pissed off that big bad Ole Miss is talking trash.

By they way the SEC has nothing to do with us being better than you. Us being Ole Miss makes us better than you so go eat a giant bag of D's
Fine then that's your opinion.

I look for a close game until late. I honestly think FSU wins it in the 4th. Too much good depth. right now I think 32-28. As for as attendance, I think we will bring a good crowd. I will be there with my wife and two daughters. My plan is to stay a week or so and take the kids to Disney and Universal.

Reactions: Reblarry
I can't wait for this game. It will be exciting for sure.

I am a bit shocked your AD agreed to this game along with your normal SEC-w schedule, but other schools should do the same (hint: uf).

I can't wait for this game. It will be exciting for sure.

I am a bit shocked your AD agreed to this game along with your normal SEC-w schedule, but other schools should do the same (hint: uf).
Why is it shocking? Great publicity for Ole Miss. Although we might lose, it will show Ole Miss is no push over like it used to be. FSU better come with their A game.

Hampton may or may not be as good as Elston. Our backups in the secondary will be green. Our first team defense will be good as will our entire D line rotation. However, our secondary is questionable at this time. Our LB backups will be new also.

Why is it shocking? Great publicity for Ole Miss. Although we might lose, it will show Ole Miss is no push over like it used to be. FSU better come with their A game.
Well, UF hasn't played a Non-Conference game outside the state of Florida since 1991. I do have to say I think it is impressive that Ole Miss scheduled this kind of game to open the season in addition to playing in the toughest Division in College Football for sure. Also, your #7 recruiting class was impressive too. Be interesting to see how many True Freshmen get signifiant playing time in the game for both teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT