ADVERTISEMENT

Underrated football positions

Beatlesreb

Three-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2015
Panama City, FL
What do y'all think is the most underrated position in football? Years ago, I remember Bill Smith and Jim Miller as being game changers as punters. Close second is the long snapper, in my view.

The kicker, but punter or PAT I am not sure. I remember a punter that played at West Virginia in the late '80's or early 90's that could literally flip the field. WVU in a preseason game against Nebraska could not move the ball and was constantly backing the punter into the cheap seats. I don't think I saw a punt less than 70 yards and once he booted it over 90. This was not hit and roll punts, mind you, but actual in the air punts. WVU got throttled by Nebraska, but how bad would it have been if it were not for the punter? A guy like that is worth 21ppg. With out defense a punter like that would be worth over 30ppg.

The kicker, but punter or PAT I am not sure. I remember a punter that played at West Virginia in the late '80's or early 90's that could literally flip the field. WVU in a preseason game against Nebraska could not move the ball and was constantly backing the punter into the cheap seats. I don't think I saw a punt less than 70 yards and once he booted it over 90. This was not hit and roll punts, mind you, but actual in the air punts. WVU got throttled by Nebraska, but how bad would it have been if it were not for the punter? A guy like that is worth 21ppg. With out defense a punter like that would be worth over 30ppg.
Jess Atkinson from WVU? And these guys are often pooped on, disregarded as wimps. Believe Jess Atkinson is the guy you're referring to. Correct me if I'm wrong. I remember Ole Miss' Jim Miller in 1979 almost single-handily beat TN. That guy flipped the field, too.

Jess Atkinson from WVU? And these guys are often pooped on, disregarded as wimps. Believe Jess Atkinson is the guy you're referring to. Correct me if I'm wrong. I remember Ole Miss' Jim Miller in 1979 almost single-handily beat TN. That guy flipped the field, too.
Miller went on to have a distinguished career in the NFL (if I am not badly mistaken). He was from a town in North Central Mississippi named Ripley, that at one time (and may still have) a welcome sign that reads: "Welcome to Ripley, home of Jim Miller".

Ripley is famous for their "First Monday" which is sort of like a flea market out of control. I also seem to remember an annual event known as the "Chicken Kickin" which is often described as a redneck version of Woodstock. There was even a song about it.

Jim Miller is now coaching football at Ripley Jr. High School. His NFL Superbowl career with the 49ers was terrific and also early in his career. Guess he wore out his foot after that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT