ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: A few fall baseball notes

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Ole Miss is starting its final week of fall practice before shutting it down util January. The Rebels are going to Jackson Thursday to be honored and visit the governor and then Pizza Bowl and then the celebration on Saturday with the halftime recognition at VHS and the Walk of Champions.

Jacob Gonzalez, as you know, sprained his MCL a couple weeks back and is out for the rest of the fall. He'll be 100 percent when things pick back up. It's not a big deal, and it's let some other guys get more innings. Tim Simay has taken advantage of it. The redshirt freshman has looked good in his opportunities in the infield. He was injured last year and struggled with the usual freshman transition, but he's taken a step.

Ethan Groff was a huge pickup from Tulane, and he's shown that so far this fall. He's going to hit at the top of the order, and he can play anywhere in the outfield and likely be the best outfielder. I don't know if Groff or TJ McCants will be in center, but they both can play and both will almost assuredly start. I like Groff a lot.

Kemp Alderman is the other outfield spot, obviously. He made massive improvements at the plate last season, and he's been hitting tape-measure shots in recent weeks. I would buy some All-SEC stock on him. The development is that he's much improved behind the plate. I think he's the backup catcher should Calvin Harris get banged up, and he will likely catch some midweeks anyway. Will Plattner has flashed the bat, but I don't think he's ready behind the plate. Alderman's advancement is much needed there.

Ethan Lege, the Delgado transfer, will play third base unless I'm missing something. I refuse to compare someone to Justin Bench, but he'll remind you of Bench. He does everything pretty well and get on base and can flash some power. They need him to transition fast, and I'm always in prove-it mode with JUCOs taking that jump, but he may be on the faster side of that curve. He can play.

Anthony Calarco, the transfer first baseman from Northwestern, has been injured, but he's starting to get back into it, and he'll be fine for the spring, as well. He hit .325 with 13 home runs last year for the Wildcats. Ole Miss doesn't want it to come to this, and they are pretty thin at first base, but in a pinch he's also played third and corner outfield.

Freshman Will Furniss -- Eddy's son -- likely get some at-bats this season. I don't know where he's playing defensively, but it's not a shock the kid can hit. John Kramer is another DH possibility, and Bo Gatlin has played well. He's looked comfortable at second base. They think Judd Utermark is going to hit, but he's been out until recently.

From a defensive standpoint, you're looking at something like this.

C - Harris
1B - Calarco
2B - Chatagnier
SS - Gonzalez
3B - Lege
OF - Groff
OF - McCants
OF - Alderman

This is irrelevant right now, but holy turnover for 2024. There's the chance all eight of those guys are gone after this year. Frankly, it's possible to likely. Other guys will emerge and improve, and Ole Miss will hammer the portal, so it's whatever, but I don't know the last time I've seen a deal where no one in the projected lineup is a freshman or true sophomore.

Grayson Saunier has been excellent each week. Ole Miss got to him some a couple weeks ago, and he handled it well. The stuff pops though and he's going to pitch. From a raw talent and stuff standpoint, he's as good as anyone in recent years. That has to translate. He has to handle the lights coming on and he's going to get knocked around. All those caveats. But the pure ability is elite.

Hunter Elliott needed to rest some this fall, and he has nothing to prove, so they are limiting his innings. He's working on some different offspeed adjustments. You know what you have with him and the focus is on getting better. Josh Mallitz was 95-96 against UAB, and the fastball looked better to go with the slider.

I think Xavier Rivas is the Sunday or Tuesday starter. It's quality stuff. It's not ace stuff in the SEC, but he's a good arm who is going to pitch. He can definitely get outs on the weekends. He's been better than I expected.

The velocities seem to be up. I've seen 96 MPH or higher from several pitchers -- Jack Dougherty, Mallitz, Brayden Jones, JT Quinn, Patrick Galle, Saunier. I'm probably missing one or two. I've seen Quinn at 98.

It's the fall. Take most things with a grain of salt. However, I like this team. The pithing is inexperienced in spots, and the offense looks different. There may be some early lumps. But if Saunier is what I at least think is possible, this team is good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.