ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Lane Kiffin PC quick hits

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Our game Saturday, mock game, I thought we did a good job with coaches and players to make it realistic. It’s important with so many new players. They don’t know what we do from stretch to locker room to meals to clap and everything. The other team was the service guys so the game always goes in our favor. Ability to run it on offense is important because we have receiver injuries going into this first game. Need to be better in back end. Front did a good job. Furman is well coached and play hard. Won a lot of games. Was 14-all at Carolina last year in second quarter. They play hard.

With my father this is something we discussed with Chris and it’s awesome it worked out. I know my dad would be excited about that. It’s exciting it’s the fourth time for us and they moved in on the same street as me. That’s awesome with his kids. He has a ton of knowledge. It’s great for us.

We accomplished what we wanted with camp. We’ll see if it worked because it’s less physical work and reps than traditional style. There’s a cost-benefit but hopefully we took advantage of the mental walk throughs and outside of receiver it’s paid off health wise.

Awesome with our staff to have so many options available to our players. Resources for them with football and life. Kids go through a lot so people to have around and that have done it themselves and been in high places, that’s extreme value. I’m appreciative of Keith for allowing it and having those spots. It’s very Alabama model. And people say it’s just coaches getting rehabbed and getting jobs but there’s also the players benefiting from it.

Every year is so new because of the roster turnover and portal guys. We have to really make sure about expectations and it’s good because we have to redo our meetings from step one.

The helmet communication was great Saturday. I said it was a game changer and I don’t know if it’s that much since both sides get it, but it has advantages. And then the iPad with the live shots and replays. More info than the NFL has on those. It’s getting used to it because it’s more work. It’s why we put Pete in the box. He has access to so much info. He can look at it calmly. And the players can just see the film in real time.

New defensive players, receiver injuries, new OL, had an elite RB the last two years – there’ a lot that we look forward to seeing in games you don’t see all the way in practice.

Prieskorn leads by example and how he works. He lost his father and he’s helped me with the same situation. Not something I imagined 9 months later. His family is awesome. Everyone promotes family, and we don’t promote that the way some others do because I think it’s not true, but this group is special and a big family.

I hope to have Jordan and Juice We’ll see.

I encourage people to watch the video of the Chucky story and it was amazing to see because we have so many new players. We showed it to the team. JJ embodies a lot of that in his spirit and how he brings others up. Also Tom Luke was Chucky’s roommate at one point. It was great to have him speak about it.

As time continued to go on I have more appreciation for Saban and what he did for me and the chance on me and what I learned from him. It’s a shame when writers use quotes and both people say the convo never happened. I think that’s what’s upsetting when things go like that. (He was asked about Saban's positive comments about him on Gameday but then he transitioned to what I'm guessing the quote that's been going around from the new book)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.