ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Couple portal targets

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Ole Miss is in on TCU corner outfielder Logan Maxwell. He hit .335 for the Horned Frogs this past season with a .929 OPS. He has one year of eligibility left. he only hit three home runs but had 12 doubles, 2 triples and 10 stolen bases. High-contact, high-average guy who walked 26 times, got hit 10 and struck out just 23 times. he hit .3333 in Big 12 play with a .971 conference OPS. He walked 15 times and struck out 14 in B12 games. The analytics show he can handle velocity and spin. No clue where it stands, but I know he's on the primary list or targets. Maxwell had 133 runs created this season. Ethan Lege (142) and Andrew Fischer (134) had more.

It was mentioned elsewhere, but to put it here, Ole Miss is also kicking the tires on two Wofford catchers -- freshman Daniel Jackson and senior Gunnar Johnson. Johnson was the starter heading into the season but got hurt. He was hitting .390 through 12 games and had thrown out 2 of 4 runners. He hit .245 in 35 games with 7 home runs last year. Jackson replaced him and played 56 games, hitting .348 with 12 home runs and a 1.091 OPS. The .395 BABIP somewhat concerns me, but maybe he just hit the ball hard. He threw out 6 of 15 runners trying to steal.

One looks much better than the other to me. It's a pretty limited pool of catcher options in the portal right now. I expect some overpaying for competent ones considering the market. Ole Miss is one of the programs that just has to get one, regardless of price or tampering.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News