ADVERTISEMENT

FSU - OM Warchant message board conversation

Thanks for your participation in this thread. I must say this is the best thread the board has seen in a long time. The board in general has been taken over by trolls and (presumably out of boredom) many of us, including me, have responded to them in less than ideal ways.
I, along with most rational posters see the FSU game as an uphill battle. Do we see it as winnable? Yes, but far from certain. Anyone who thinks OM wins this by three scores is nuts.

Thank you for your kind words. I think FSU has the edge in overall talent, but as others have pointed out, this will be the first test for a freshman QB so there is a wildcard there. My concern is mitigated to an extend because he has the best RB in school history to hand the ball off to, and an excellent future NFL TE to throw to, and both of those luxuries are a young QBs best friends.

Chad Kelly also is a bit of a wild card. Seems like a streaky player, that when he gets hot can light it up against anyone, but also can go into the tank. Admittedly I only watched 2 OM games last year (UF and Bama) so my sample size is small. Is that a fair assessment of him?

I didn't know this board existed. I definitely am concerned that DJ Jones bullies Eberle (the center). So you think McFadden wins the job over Lewis, @RedWolfe11? I still wonder if Marshall can cover. Fisher sure seems to like him, though.

DT is our strongest defensive position. We have Isacc Gross back at DT and he was our best penetrating D lineman, better than Nkemdiche. We lost him in the first quarter of the first game last year. Our two deep at DT(Gross,Speaks,two Jones) could start for anyone in the SEC. Husky is our most important defensive position and we have Tony Conner back. Conner is a special player. We lost him in the Bama game and Florida keyed on his replacement, a true freshman. We had to shake up our entire defensive backfield when we moved Mike Hilton to Husky after the Florida game. We have one excellent LB in Gates and two transfers at MLB. It'll be interesting to see if they know our defense by Labor Day. FSU will test them I suspect.

On offense it appears our #1 RB will be ruled ineligible for the season due to a clerical error in our Athletic Academic Support Dept. Things like this were common with our old AD but this really surprises me now. I suspect that will force the redshirt off Pennamon who will play a lot as a true freshman. He's our best RB recruit since Duece. One of our key receivers, Pack, will be questionable for the game. We go 3 deep at every receiver position. Adeboyejo is our best receiver. I suspect two true freshmen will be in the rotation. Our O line is young but good. I'm worried about the LT position in that I think a speed rusher on that side could be bad for us. But Kelly is use to a porous O line. After Tunsil came back our offense was unstoppable last year. If our O line is good our offense will be almost as good as the last 5 games last year. This O line will be better for our running game. With Wilkens gone you'll see the touches spread out. There is nothing wrong with our running game a good O line can't help. We haven't had a good O line in a long time though except for the last 5 games of last season.

If I had to bet my IRA I'd go with FSU because it's almost a home game. But knowing Dave Wommack and Hugh Freeze I think they will have solid plans. We held Fournette and Henry in check so we should be able to do the same with your running game. You'll have to throw to beat us. I think the game will be relatively low scoring though. I'm guessing the final score will be 20 something to 20 something.

Reactions: kinsley1m
Kinsley thanks for coming by our site and sharing some good info for the Ole Miss perspective. Can't believe they booted you. I as well voiced my displeasure with the "FSU fans only rule." I hope you were on a 7 day free trial, because if you paid for a WC membership and got banned that's brutal. Anyway, look forward to some more banter leading up to the game. What's this I hear about you guys losing a RB to grades today? Was he someone that was gonna see significant PT?

He was one of the two returning backs with significant experience. I can't say it is no loss because of that. He probably would have received 25-35% of the snaps at RB.

The upside is we have a redshirt and a true freshmen that are as/more talented to replace him, though obviously they have zero game experience.

Our coaches do seem to feel comfortable enough at the position that they moved our other true freshmen RB to defense already.

Running back hasn't been outstanding for us under Freeze anyway. We will rely on a talented group of WRs and Kelly's arm. Our running back most important job might be pass protection. Our best running back will likely be Kelly, who ran very well toward the end of last year when the staff finally allowed it.

DT is our strongest defensive position. We have Isacc Gross back at DT and he was our best penetrating D lineman, better than Nkemdiche. We lost him in the first quarter of the first game last year. Our two deep at DT(Gross,Speaks,two Jones) could start for anyone in the SEC. Husky is our most important defensive position and we have Tony Conner back. Conner is a special player. We lost him in the Bama game and Florida keyed on his replacement, a true freshman. We had to shake up our entire defensive backfield when we moved Mike Hilton to Husky after the Florida game. We have one excellent LB in Gates and two transfers at MLB. It'll be interesting to see if they know our defense by Labor Day. FSU will test them I suspect.

On offense it appears our #1 RB will be ruled ineligible for the season due to a clerical error in our Athletic Academic Support Dept. Things like this were common with our old AD but this really surprises me now. I suspect that will force the redshirt off Pennamon who will play a lot as a true freshman. He's our best RB recruit since Duece. One of our key receivers, Pack, will be questionable for the game. We go 3 deep at every receiver position. Adeboyejo is our best receiver. I suspect two true freshmen will be in the rotation. Our O line is young but good. I'm worried about the LT position in that I think a speed rusher on that side could be bad for us. But Kelly is use to a porous O line. After Tunsil came back our offense was unstoppable last year. If our O line is good our offense will be almost as good as the last 5 games last year. This O line will be better for our running game. With Wilkens gone you'll see the touches spread out. There is nothing wrong with our running game a good O line can't help. We haven't had a good O line in a long time though except for the last 5 games of last season.

If I had to bet my IRA I'd go with FSU because it's almost a home game. But knowing Dave Wommack and Hugh Freeze I think they will have solid plans. We held Fournette and Henry in check so we should be able to do the same with your running game. You'll have to throw to beat us. I think the game will be relatively low scoring though. I'm guessing the final score will be 20 something to 20 something.

Great post, thanks for the info. I am officially concerned about our center now. Forgive my ignorance, what exactly is the "Husky" position in your defense?

I know what you are saying. I was skimming some other threads and could see what you are referring to. This is the 1st time ever, yes ever since I joined rivals in 2004 that I have ever posted on another message board. I don't even go to the main boards. So to think there are people that have literally no life that they have the time to waste to talk message board smack on a site dedicated to another school is well, pretty pathetic. I especially got a kick out of the Bama trolls calling y'all cheaters. If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black. Or the Auburn fan who says Auburn never paid Cam, they just lucked out b/c Miss St got a request from Cecil Newton and backed off and Cam just fell into their lap. I live in Atlanta and it's fairly common knowledge that old Cecil's church was the money laundrymat. Besides, that whistle wasn't blown until well after Cam was at Auburn. So to act like someone let the cat out of the bagman's bag in January of 2010 is preposterous. It's probably a good karmatic practice to refrain from finger pointing b/c it just starts the clock until it's your schools turn.

I give Ole Miss props for scheduling FSU in Orlando. It's certainly not a game that an SEC school needs to play. Although the league seems to be following Bama's lead on scheduling these neutral site openers. This first weekend is great to see. It reminds me of the early to mid 90's when there were all the Kickoff Classic games in the Meadowlands and various NFL stadiums. I even see where Florida even scheduled Michigan in Dallas next year. That's like press stopping news right there. I mean, if there is one school that seems to never get hammered for never playing anything that resembles a competitive non conference game (outside of their in state rival) it's Florida. They still have not scheduled a non conference true road game in decades. Hell, it's like pulling teeth to just get them to play Miami. Thank about taking a dump on your boosters a season ticket holders who fund your program. I bet LSU fans can't wait to check out a game in Lambeau field.

If there's one thing that Ole Miss has working for them it's experience at the QB position. I don't care how highly rated Fancois was/is, and I understand Jimbo is as good as there is at developing college QB's, but it's still his first game. I'm confident in our defense. I think you guys will get your yards b/c Freeze is a good offensive coach, but I'm fairly certain we don't give up anymore than 20-24 points unless we turn it over 3 or 4 times. I feel like we'll know how this one is gonna go by about FSU's 2nd possession. If Ole Miss stacks the box, which I assume they will, and Jimbo still tries to be run centric then we are probably in for a tough night. If he lets DF throw right off the bat b/c the match ups are favorable, then we know that he has confidence that 12 can win through the air. Looking forward to it.

Scored 43 @ Alabama
27 against Vandy (bad team good D)
76-73-52-24 in non conference games
27 at Auburn
52 against Arkansas
38 at MSU
38 against LSU
48 against Okla. St.

That was with a QB in the first year of a new system. I'm not sure how certain you can be that Kelly doesn't lead Ole Miss to more than 24 in his second and final year.

Scored 43 @ Alabama
27 at Auburn
52 against Arkansas
38 at MSU
38 against LSU
48 against Okla. St.

That was with a QB in the first year of a new system. I'm not sure how certain you can be that Kelly doesn't lead Ole Miss to more than 24 in his second and final year.
FSU pass defense will likely be much better than all of those teams except Alabama, and could be better than them.

The teams we scored most against aren't close to their level, unless I've overlooked one.

I can easily see a lower scoring game than many of us are hoping for.

Thank you for your kind words. I think FSU has the edge in overall talent, but as others have pointed out, this will be the first test for a freshman QB so there is a wildcard there. My concern is mitigated to an extend because he has the best RB in school history to hand the ball off to, and an excellent future NFL TE to throw to, and both of those luxuries are a young QBs best friends.

Chad Kelly also is a bit of a wild card. Seems like a streaky player, that when he gets hot can light it up against anyone, but also can go into the tank. Admittedly I only watched 2 OM games last year (UF and Bama) so my sample size is small. Is that a fair assessment of him?

I don't think it is. Kelly went 26/40 259 yards 1 TD 1INT in what was probably his and Ole Miss's worst performance of the season at Florida and that was while under serious duress the entire game. Fact is Kelly was good to very good early on and stepped it up even more (to the point of top two or three in the country) by the end of the year.

Kelly had 3740 yards passing with 27 TDs
427 yards rushing with 10 TDs

He had the most productive single season in SEC history of any player but Johnny Manziel. Inconsistent, no, unless you call wavering between very good and all time great inconsistent.

FSU pass defense will likely be much better than all of those teams except Alabama, and could be better than them.

The teams we scored most against aren't close to their level, unless I've overlooked one.

I can easily see a lower scoring game than many of us are hoping for.

LSU

But I didn't say we would, of course it might be that range, I might even buy will likely be that range, but he said he was fairly certain it wouldn't be more than 24 and that is definitely not a certainty.

So we played two teams with pass D on FSU level (Bama and LSU) and we put up 43 and 38 points in those two games. Even if you throw Florida in there we are still averaging over 30 a game.

LSU

But I didn't say we would, of course it might be that range, I might even buy will likely be that range, but he said he was fairly certain it wouldn't be more than 24 and that is definitely not a certainty.

So we played two teams with pass D on FSU level (Bama and LSU) and we put up 43 and 38 points in those two games. Even if you throw Florida in there we are still averaging over 30 a game.
Go back and look at LSUs defensive stats from last year. Elite talent, but not results. And we can be honest about Alabama. I was there, it was awesome, but 100 yards and 2 touchdowns were fluky. I'm okay with that, we still moved the ball, but settled for too many field goals.

I'm starting to prepare myself for a lower scoring game and hope to be happily wrong.

Scored 43 @ Alabama
27 at Auburn
52 against Arkansas
38 at MSU
38 against LSU
48 against Okla. St.

The only two teams you listed there that have comparable defense to FSU is Bama and LSU. Honestly I didn't realize you put up that many points against LSU, I am going to have to go back and watch that game. I know that was during LSU's late season free fall, but I'm interested to see how that game played out.

Claiming 43 against Bama is a bit of a stretch if you are crediting your offense with that. I watched the Alabama game (twice now, seems like espnU replays it every week) and your offense was not responsible for more than half of those points. Very flukey game with all the turnovers. Your first two TDs were a result of your offense getting the ball inside Alabamas red zone (scoring drives of 26 and 18 yards respectively). Your 3rd TD was a dumb decision by Mr. swag that should have been a turnover and got lucky as hell.

His other long TD was an illegal "pop play" that he added to the BS of that style of play by throwing it past the line of scrimmage. You remove those two flukey plays and his stats read 16 of 31 for 202 yards and one TD on the game.

Sorry for the tone above, I really hate that pop play bullshit that Hugh and a ton of other spread coaches run. It is against the spirit of football in my opinion, and illegal 98% of the time it's run (OL are not allowed to get that far down field and it's never called). Look for a rule change to fix this gimmicky Mickey Mouse BS in the next year or two. (Rant over haha)

Go back and look at LSUs defensive stats from last year. Elite talent, but not results. And we can be honest about Alabama. I was there, it was awesome, but 100 yards and 2 touchdowns were fluky. I'm okay with that, we still moved the ball, but settled for too many field goals.

I'm starting to prepare myself for a lower scoring game and hope to be happily wrong.

Shit, you beat me to it as I was typing out my post about the Bama game. Haha

You posses an objectivity that is rare amongst college football fans. Kudos

The only two teams you listed there that have comparable defense to FSU is Bama and LSU. Honestly I didn't realize you put up that many points against LSU, I am going to have to go back and watch that game. I know that was during LSU's late season free fall, but I'm interested to see how that game played out.

Claiming 43 against Bama is a bit of a stretch if you are crediting your offense with that. I watched the Alabama game (twice now, seems like espnU replays it every week) and your offense was not responsible for more than half of those points. Very flukey game with all the turnovers. Your first two TDs were a result of your offense getting the ball inside Alabamas red zone (scoring drives of 26 and 18 yards respectively). Your 3rd TD was a dumb decision by Mr. swag that should have been a turnover and got lucky as hell.

His other long TD was an illegal "pop play" that he added to the BS of that style of play by throwing it past the line of scrimmage. You remove those two flukey plays and his stats read 16 of 31 for 202 yards and one TD on the game.

Sorry for the tone above, I really hate that pop play bullshit that Hugh and a ton of other spread coaches run. It is against the spirit of football in my opinion, and illegal 98% of the time it's run (OL are not allowed to get that far down field and it's never called). Look for a rule change to fix this gimmicky Mickey Mouse BS in the next year or two. (Rant over haha)
I think it was illegal for lineman downfield not throwing past line of scrimmage, but yes. (Edit: you said that. Nevermind.) And LSU defense wasn't great.

Sorry I upset you with pointing out and proving with facts how wrong your statement was, especially since it made you turn into a Bama fan with the laundry list of excuses. I like how you remove several scoring drives and then whine about another to get stats to your liking. Very homeboarder of you.

Fluky happens another reason not to be certain about anything

I think it was illegal for lineman downfield not throwing past line of scrimmage, but yes. And LSU defense wasn't great.

Linemen are allowed to be downfield if the pass is behind the line of scrimmage (screen passes), but you can't throw the ball downfield.

It is literally impossible to defend. I was a rover back and my eyes were trained to watch the OL even though I would be focused on QB and the ball. You could see in your peripheral if OL were releasing downfield in a run block, when I saw that I would key on a run and come downhill in run support. If you allow OL to run downfield, LBs and safeties are going to come downhill and ignore receivers because it should be a run play. Letting the ball get thrown over their head is illegal and against the fundamentals of football as it has been played forever.

I was a defensive player so I hate seeing that crap. There is literally nothing you can do (which is why it is illegal). You don't see it in the NFL because their rule differs slightly, OL are not allowed 1 yard past the line of scrimmage on passing plays, while college rules allow them to be 3 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Sorry I upset you with pointing out and proving with facts how wrong your statement was, especially since it made you turn into a Bama fan with the laundry list of excuses. I like how you remove several scoring drives and then whine about another to get stats to your liking. Very homeboarder of you.

You post didn't upset me, and you didn't prove anything I said as wrong, since I wasn't the one that made the post about the 24 points. Not going to succumb to your troll attempt buddy. Take it on down the road.

I just simply pointed out that you offense did not score 40+ points on Bama. Your own fans admit the same. Who is being a homer?

I have met Chad a couple of times over the past year and if a person can truly have a change in their personality he has. Not saying he is a saint but after a couple of mission trips to Hati and seeing what the real world can look like, he seems to be a very humble person outside of football.

He seems to not be a big party guy and very much a gym rat. He is very active in Fellowship of Christian Athletes and has professed to be a born again Christian. He is not a holy roller, but his faith seems to have changed him for the better.

I have met Chad a couple of times over the past year and if a person can truly have a change in their personality he has. Not saying he is a saint but after a couple of mission trips to Hati and seeing what the real world can look like, he seems to be a very humble person outside of football.

He seems to not be a big party guy and very much a gym rat. He is very active in Fellowship of Christian Athletes and has professed to be a born again Christian. He is not a holy roller, but his faith seems to have changed him for the better.

Good to know. I try not to judge 18 year old kids because I was very immature at that stage in life, as I think most of us are. Good to know he has matured. I will give him the benefit of the doubt moving forward.

You post didn't upset me, and you didn't prove anything I said as wrong, since I wasn't the one that made the post about the 24 points. Not going to succumb to your troll attempt buddy. Take it on down the road.

I just simply pointed out that you offense did not score 40+ points on Bama. Your own fans admit the same. Who is being a homer?

Jordan Wilkins TD run
Chad Kelly TD run
Quincy Adeboyejo TD catch
Cody Core TD catch
Laquon Tredwell TD catch
That's 30

You're right the other 13 were special teams points but those still count last time I checked.

This is a solid thread. Actual football stuff being discussed.

Amazing that no Bama or State fan has attempted to screw it up with their usual dumb crap. Attempting to have a normal football discussion with them is like trying to have one with your cat.

You have to admit that he gave the media plenty to talk about. I bet if he played for the Gators you would feel a bit differently.
See, you just did what ESPN did with the "sexual assault" allegation thing you threw in there. There was no reason to do that. You do know it was investigated by three different entities and was determined to be false by each one, and that the girl's story changed more times than most people change underwear, right? It's not Winston's fault the girl decided to lie and go for the money. So everytime someone brings up the false "allegation" then the girl's lies should be mentioned as well.

Last edited:
Jordan Wilkins TD run
Chad Kelly TD run
Cody Core TD catch
Laquon Tredwell TD catch
That's 30

You're right the other 13 were special teams points but those still count last time I checked.

Jordan Wilkins TD run 26 yard drive, thank you defense and a turnover
Chad Kelly TD run 18 yard drive, thank you defense and a turnover
Quincy Adeboyejo TD catch addressed as a fluke play that should have been an interception or a sack
Cody Core TD catch addressed as an illegal play in my previous post
Laquon Tredwell TD catch 31 yard drive, thank your defense and a turnover.
That's 30

13 special teams points
14 points on fluke plays
And your three legitimate TD drives starting field position was on your opponents 25

Take off the shades buddy, it was a flukey game and nobody with an ounce of objectivity or football knowledge would say any different. You guys won. I'm happy for you. I hate Bama, I was rooting for you guys. Just don't claim that your offense put up 40+ and think that is going to happen against a similar defense.

But what do I know? I'm just a shill for Alabama. (Puts on houndstooth cap and admires his Finebaum fathead on the wall)

See, you just did what ESPN did with the "sexual assault" allegation thing you through in there. There was no reason to do that. You do know it was investigated by three different entities and was determined to be false by each one, and that the girl's story changed more times than most people change underwear, right? It's not Winston's fault the girl decided to lie and go for the money. So everytime someone brings up the false "allegation" then the girl's lies should be mentioned as well.

Let it go. I am right there with you buddy, but this conversation never ends well. Let's stick to our game before this thread turns south.

Quincy Adeboyejo TD catch addressed as a fluke play that should have been an interception or a sack
That's 30

But what do I know? I'm just a shill for Alabama. (Puts on houndstooth cap and admires his Finebaum fathead on the wall)

It's not the offenses fault that is where they got the ball and they did cash in. Also three offensive drives for FGs. The point is it adds up to more than 24 which the other poster said was fairly certain OM couldn't score on FSU. Well scored it on Bama and most everyone else, so to be certain is quite presumptious.

As far as comparing it to FSU level Ds, according to many of your fans and some of your writers there aren't any other FSU level Ds, so how could we have a comparison. Based on the Ds we did see (which was a pretty good schedule) it is reasonable to see Ole Miss scoring more than 24 on anyone.

FSU fan here that participated in the original conversation that was referenced. To clear the record, the convo was civil and respectful. He was banned because one of the rules of the "Tribal Council" (which is our premium members only board) is that it is solely for FSU fans. He was banned for that reason, even though I think it was asinine decision and I blasted the asshat mods for it.

Now that we got that out of the way, back to football talk.

Concerning our (FSU) defensive backfield, most every knowledgable Seminole fan believes our secondary is actually going to be better than last year. Yes, we lost Ramsey who was a special player. But he is just one player. There will be a slight drop off at that one spot, but we are improved at every other spot.

For those that don't follow FSU closely (I am assuming that is everyone reading this) we really run a 4-2-5 as our base defense, even though our coaches don't officially list that. We run the 4-2-5, or Nickle personnel most of the time. That is largely due to the fact that our main competitor for our conference title is Clemson that runs a spread so our defensive personnel is built around stopping spread teams. Similar to what you saw with Alabama building their defense with massive LBs to stop LSU a few years ago when they were battling it out every year, and then they got exploited by spread teams that used their size against them. We sometimes get exposed by big power attacks (see Boston College giving us trouble for several years in a row).

All that to say this: we have 3 corners on the field most of the time. The biggest playmaking position on our defense is the "star" position, or what most people call a Nickle back (3rd corner). But we play that position in multiple ways. That was the position Ramsey played his sophomore year when he put up much better stats and impacted games much much more than his junior (last) year when he played boundary corner. He switched to boundary corner that because he wanted to prove to NFL scouts that he could be an outside corner, and the coaches obliged. But the "star" position is our biggest playmaking and impactful position on our defense, where we usually put our best player.

Our "star" position last year was a lightning quick, strong, athletic player named Tre Marshall. He was on his way to having a breakout year and was playing at an elite level last year. He tore a bicep muscle early in the year and was out all year rehabbing. Otherwise, you would know who he was because he was on his way to All-Conference honors. That was a huge blow to our defense as we didn't have anyone with his skill set to replace him, and we ended up starting a walk-on at that spot for the last 7-8 games of the year.

We have that player back, who is a work out warrior and has improved his speed, strength, and explosiveness in the off-season. Just getting him back is going to be a huge improvement to our secondary.

The corner opposite of Ramsey last year is a stud and would have been drafted last year if he had come out early. (Marquez White). He apparently has had an amazing off-season and expects to play even better as this is just his 2nd year playing football year-round. He split time on our basketball team his first 2 years on campus.

We are replacing Ramsey with a 5-star sophomore that is a physical freak (6'2" 210lb) that was the top corner coming out of highhschool 2 years ago. https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/390
All reports so far is that he is living up to the hype. He would have started at over 90% of power 5 schools last year as a true freshman, but he just happened to be behind a top-5 pick last year.

Lastly, I don't think anyone outside of Tallahasee realizes how good Derwin James is. Just remember that name. After our game you guys will all have a huge amount of respect for him. He is being talked about as having the potential to be the best defensive back to ever play at FSU. If you know our history, you know that is high praise. I think it's a little early to be talking that kind of hyperbole considering we have had many Thorpe award winners and hall of farmers including Deion Sanders. But he certainly is different than any player I have seen. I just don't know what to make of him.

I know many of you are rolling your eyes and thinking I'm a blindly optimistic homer. I'm not. I am pretty objective and have correctly predicted our record before the season for several years in a row now. I said we would lose 2-3 games last year, with a 10-2 regular season (that's exactly what we finished at). So I am not one of these fans that thinks we are going to go undefeated every year. I follow our team closely, know the equipment manager, and get good insight from our closed practices.

If you believe our secondary is going to be something you can exploit, I strongly disagree. It is our deepest and most talented position on our entire team. The only question mark we have is how a 5-star freak of a corner is going to play in his 2nd year, if that's our biggest question mark, I feel pretty good about our secondary.

Any questions feel free to fire away.

I have one question regarding your defensive front, and particularly the interior DL. You guys mostly play a 3-4 correct? You play a true nose guard in a zero-tech. Or do you play more 2 and 3-tech DTs?

Our center is a little undersized and weak compared to the rest of our line. That is my one area of concern. If you have explosive and powerful Nose guard you can push the pocket back into our young QBs face and really cause us issues (yes our freshman is going to start at QB).

I look forward to the insight you provide, as we'll as the game. I will be at the game looking forward to a good early season test to see how we look. Pumped for the game, good luck
Thanks for sharing, and thank you for the detailed analysis. That was much more comprehensive than anything else I've found on FSU.

That's 30

13 special teams points
14 points on fluke plays
And your three legitimate TD drives starting field position was on your opponents 25

Take off the shades buddy, it was a flukey game and nobody with an ounce of objectivity or football knowledge would say any different. You guys won. I'm happy for you. I hate Bama, I was rooting for you guys. Just don't claim that your offense put up 40+ and think that is going to happen against a similar defense.

Fact is the offense DID put up 40 + and just because you don't like the manner in which it happened be it the defense putting them in good position or one lucky bounce doesn't mean it didn't happen

I didn't say OM would put up 40 on FSU or a similar D (though according to your homers this is no similar D outside the Broncos) I simply said you can't be certain that Ole Miss won't put up more than 24 as the other poster claimed.

I shouldn't have responded to the troll attempt, I'm just going to let that dog lie and get back to the good convo we were having.

So a Husky position is a LB/Safety hybrid like a traditional "rover back". Where does he play? On the outside? In the box? Does he cover TEs and backs? A Blitzer? I am intrigued. I consider myself a pretty knowledgable football fan and have never heard this terminology before.

And Kinsey, out "star" position isn't a LB/Safety hybrid. It is more of a corner/safety hybrid. It is usually played by our best DB that has the speed and athleticism of a corner to cover slot WRs, but also physical enough to contribute to run support and be an effective Blitzer off the edge.

Reactions: jzorbino2
That's 30

13 special teams points
14 points on fluke plays

Here's the thing about those short fields, Bama didn't just walk out and hand us the ball. Our defense caused those short fields. The helmet pass was complete BS but in most games there are complete BS plays. The pop pass isn't going anywhere though they may change the distance for offensive lineman. The current distance is 3 yards so our lineman was 2 yards too far but it's hard to judge that when the line of scrimmage shifts so much. It was a missed call just like the batted onside kick was missed. It happens.

I shouldn't have responded to the troll attempt, I'm just going to let that dog lie and get back to the good convo we were having.

So a Husky position is a LB/Safety hybrid like a traditional "rover back". Where does he play? On the outside? In the box? Does he cover TEs and backs? A Blitzer? I am intrigued. I consider myself a pretty knowledgable football fan and have never heard this terminology before.

And Kinsey, out "star" position isn't a LB/Safety hybrid. It is more of a corner/safety hybrid. It is usually played by our best DB that has the speed and athleticism of a corner to cover slot WRs, but also physical enough to contribute to run support and be an effective Blitzer off the edge.
Conner is good enough to cover a slot receiver or any tight end you line up but at 225 he is also big enough to stuff runs off the edge. Some times he is playing a safety style with 3 safeties umbrellaing the field and some times it looks like a standard 4-3 defense with him as a linebacker and some times it looks like a 2 high safety with him manned up on a slot receiver. He wears 12

Reactions: RedWolfe11
Jordan Wilkins TD run
Chad Kelly TD run
Cody Core TD catch
Laquon Tredwell TD catch
That's 30

Pay close attention to the names you just posted and to what they did against Bama, then realize that every single one of those names except for Kelly are no longer on your roster (correct me if I'm wrong). That's a lot of playmakers that won't play against a stacked FSU team that returns almost everyone and is more talented than any team in the SEC except for maybe Bama.

Here's the thing about those short fields, Bama didn't just walk out and hand us the ball. Our defense caused those short fields. The helmet pass was complete BS but in most games there are complete BS plays. The pop pass isn't going anywhere though they may change the distance for offensive lineman. The current distance is 3 yards so our lineman was 2 yards too far but it's hard to judge that when the line of scrimmage shifts so much. It was a missed call just like the batted onside kick was missed. It happens.

I agree with everything you stated. Your defense was damn good last year, no question. I was simply pointing out that claiming your offense put up 40+ points on Bama in a disingenuous statement. Your TEAM did, but it was mostly the defense and special teams doing the dirty work. Credit should go to the offense for taking advantage of those short fields and getting 6 instead of settling for 3. I just got the impression the objective okra fan was acting like your guys offense steam rolled Alabama. Clemson did, Ole Miss didn't. The 4 for14 on 3rd downs hints at the lack of sustained success against that defense.

But I digress, enough about the Bama game. Let's talk our upcoming matchup.

What is your biggest concern coming into the game? What is the weakness you think FSU could potentially exploit?

There was no troll attempt. There has been a good exchange of information. I just feel FSU posters have made two statements that are inaccurate. One being certainty that Ole Miss will not score 24 points and the other being an assessment of Kelly as streaky, wild card, can go in the tank.

We have Rover (SS) Huskie (Nickel), MLB, Stinger (OLB), FS, 2 CB, 2 De, NT, DT

New to this thread but Tony Conner, our husky will lock down the pass catching tight ends or slot receiver on third and medium and is also a run stuffer. That was why we got burnt over and over again last season by teams with good to great te play after he went down at Bama. To me he's the best player on our D hands down.

Pay close attention to the names you just posted and to what they did against Bama, then realize that every single one of those names except for Kelly are no longer on your roster (correct me if I'm wrong). That's a lot of playmakers that won't play against a stacked FSU team that returns almost everyone and is more talented than any team in the SEC except for maybe Bama.

Well Wilkins is on roster but won't play
And frankly our RBs are probably average with or without him
Adeboye is also back

Core and Treadwell are gone but we are loaded at WR, playmakers there are the least of our worries

@pratt12200 awesome post, thanks for the video, that really helped my understanding.

Good player. Our equivalent to that role will be Derwin James, not our star position.

Derwin is the freak I mentioned before. We actually line him up all over the field, and you will even see him play a DE role this year on some passing downs. I expect our coaches to put him on whomever is replacing Tunsil (Little?) because they are going to have a hard time handling him. He devastating off the edge with his quickness, and is sneaky strong for his size. Evidenced in this play when 5th year senior offensive tackle gets chucked to the ground by a true freshman safety... Skip to the 1:20 mark of this video to see what I'm talking about.

I agree with everything you stated. Your defense was damn good last year, no question. I was simply pointing out that claiming your offense put up 40+ points on Bama in a disingenuous statement. Your TEAM did, but it was mostly the defense and special teams doing the dirty work. Credit should go to the offense for taking advantage of those short fields and getting 6 instead of settling for 3. I just got the impression the objective okra fan was acting like your guys offense steam rolled Alabama. Clemson did, Ole Miss didn't. The 4 for14 on 3rd downs hints at the lack of sustained success against that defense.

But I digress, enough about the Bama game. Let's talk our upcoming matchup.

What is your biggest concern coming into the game? What is the weakness you think FSU could potentially exploit?

Weakness for Ole Miss is at OT

Can they hold up well enough to give Kelly time to throw

On defense, lots more questions

Is Fadol Brown, Isaac Gross, Tony Conner healthy
can Haynes set the edge versus your back
Are transfer LBs adequate
Can new safeties replace Hilton and Elston without a drop off

There was no troll attempt. There has been a good exchange of information. I just feel FSU posters have made two statements that are inaccurate. One being certainty that Ole Miss will not score 24 points and the other being an assessment of Kelly as streaky, wild card, can go in the tank.

We have Rover (SS) Huskie (Nickel), MLB, Stinger (OLB), FS, 2 CB, 2 De, NT, DT

Thanks for the position breakdown. If you weren't trying to troll then you had me fooled.

You are putting words in the mouths of FSU posters on the 24 points thing. The dude said "fairly certain". That's his opinion, and one I happen to share. Absent any turnovers or special teams scores, I don't see anyway you putting up 30+ points on FSU. Our weakness on D is power run games, our strength is our secondary and playing spread teams with mobile QBs. Our defense is literally been built for 7 years now specifically to beat teams with offensive style that you guys employ. Sorry if that ruffles feathers with you. In my opinion, Clemson has a more talented QB and more talented WRs last year than you will have this year, and they struggled to put up 23 points on this defense that should have an improved secondary this year. That same Clemson offense TORCHED that Alabama defense, but couldn't move the ball against FSU. We are comparable in talent to Bama on D, but we are built much differently. We thrive against spreads and mobile QBs, they struggle with them. That's just the facts man.

And it is my opinion that Kellyis streaky. Those were my words, and based on only watching 2 games (Bama and UF) last year, which I freely admitted was a small sample size and I did not state as fact.

There has been a good exchange of info in this thread, but you have come dangerously close to turning this into something else.

That's 30

13 special teams points
14 points on fluke plays

our offense was good enough. Kinda like houstons last year....:grimace:

Reactions: Webster_Co_Reb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT